item 2 of 7 for this year's state fair

Thanks Dan you just added something else to my long list of To do projects.

Looking great. Brought back to mind those pumpkin chucking pics Vaughn posted and the guys there that use a trebuchet.

mmmh I wonder how one of those is classified in Canada :rofl: Firearm ? Weapon of War or Mass destruction? :rofl:

How many categories are you going to enter this year. I know how many pieces you got but are they all in different categories?

happy to be of service rob. i'm not sure if these are even allowed in canada. i'm entering 9 items in 9 categories. the bulging board in wood inlay or marquetry, the trebuchet in toys, the clock in clocks, one of the new chairs in chairs, a side table in tables, a jardineirre pedestal in small furniture, a goblet in the turning area, the optical illusion cutting board in the others, and the backgammon set in games.

with the guide edges planed down, the counterweight basket swings free and clear. with that out of the way, set up the sling. did some dummy test firing (paintball in place, but taped so that the ball couldn't escape, or the pouch open), and the sling releases just as expected. after i get back from picking up the lumber for the chairs tomorrow, i may try for some live tests.

Attachments

• 022 trebuchet sling.jpg
    022 trebuchet sling.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 023 trebuchet sling.jpg
    023 trebuchet sling.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 22
Rob was joking. :D A trebuchet would probably be classified as a toy, like a potato cannon, and you wouldn't get into trouble unless you engaged in the long-standing Canadian tradition of hurling eggs at your neighbour's house.

tested the trebuchet out today:D. it has an effective range of 11-12 feet. considering it is about 1/30th the size of a real one, that would put the range just about right. :thumb:

finally got around to finishing the trebuchet. about a week ago, gave it all a good sanding, and a coat of boiled linseed oil. last night i rigged the sling and new pouch. i made the sling a little bit longer, not sure if that will improve the range or not, only a test firing will tell. the new pouch is made of some scrap thin buckskin i had for some time. i figured that will make a more durable pouch, and looked better than the pillow ticking. i included the improvement of stitching about 1/4" of the corners down, as i had made that modification to the pillow ticking pouch. that makes 4 items for the fair finished, with 3 in the works, and 2 yet to be started.

Attachments

• 024 finished trebuchet.jpg
    024 finished trebuchet.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 28
after exhaustive testing today, depending on the load being launched (paintball, 69 cal lead round ball, small bit of concrete), the effective range of the upgraded trebuchet is now between 13 and 17 feet. :D

I always wondered how those worked. I read a lot of history novels, so I had heard of them, but couldn't imagine how they could build any kind of war engine in place that could do much damage to fortress walls. I love it.

Thanks Dan you just added something else to my long list of To do projects.

Looking great. Brought back to mind those pumpkin chucking pics Vaughn posted and the guys there that use a trebuchet.

mmmh I wonder how one of those is classified in Canada :rofl: Firearm ? Weapon of War or Mass destruction? :rofl:

How many categories are you going to enter this year. I know how many pieces you got but are they all in different categories?

I think if we laid all of robs plans of his to do list side by side, they would stretch from Toronto to florida, and back 3 times.

ya know I love ya man.