Jammin' on the Can

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Canjo, to be more specific...

I met up with Carol for lunch today as she heads back home with her new tractor, and got a chance to play an authentic Frog Pond Guitars Canjo. (Do not accept any substitutes!) Carol grabbed this shot of me going all Van Halen in the parking lot of the restaurant. :D

Canjo%201%20800.jpg

I did also play "Oh Susanna" for her. I figured that was a more appropriate tune, considering the origins of the instrument. Jay (Mr. Frog Pond hisself) uses only the finest materials in the manufacture of his instruments.

Canjo%203%20800.jpg

It was great seeing Carol again today. We had a nice lunch and great visit, and I'm here to tell you she picked up a sweet-looking tractor. The previous owner took very good care of Big John, and it shows. :thumb:

Love the Canjo!

I agree, the tractor was a heck of a deal for the shape it's in. Even for the prices around here, costs to come and get it with what she paid, she's still coming out ahead.

jay is in the glory land in his shop and eats well where ever he goes:) the pearly gates opened early for jay, and let him stay down here to share the joy with all of us..

I cant begin to tell you Vaughn what I had pictured in my head before I opened this thread.
I said to myself, really, the administrator is posting that?
I often read when...........ok, so I misunderstood this thread.

...I often read when...........ok, so I misunderstood this thread.

Honestly, many years ago a guitar player buddy of mine from Albuquerque (Tim) moved to LA and lived for a while with another good friend (Steve). According to Steve, Tim was obsessed with practicing his guitar playing. He played in his bedroom, he played in the kitchen, he even played when he was sitting on the john. They'd go to the beach, and Tim would ignore all the girls and sit in the van, practicing his guitar playing.

In the long run, it paid off for Tim. For the past 20 to 25 years, he has been one of the busiest studio guitarists in LA. He's played on over 20,000 recordings. Here's a list of some of them...you'll recognize a few names:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-pierce-mn0000593316/credits

a buddy of mine is a pretty successful musician.(not in your friends league, in the wedding business, and the wedding business is good out here on long island)
He still plays, but I believe he makes his dough by being the guy who books all the bands. whatever.
when we were growing up(I knew him since 5th grade), he was the only one in the group whos parents never had to yell at him to practice.(we all took musical instrument lessons)
He used to say I love to practice, more than playing ball, etc.....we never understood.
Now its clear.
People who love to practice seem to be the successful ones, they really love what they have with music.
I liked your buddy tim's play list, some heavy hitters there. Practice, practice practice. makes perfect, right?

Ha! My son practices a lot on guitar and ukulele, and like me, I hope he doesn't read this, he just doesn't really have a gift for music. It does not detour him, he keeps at it. He has been doing it for about 4 years now maybe more. He loves it and can get out a recognizable tune. He also loves to study. More often when he was in high school we had to stop him from studying and get him to go to bed. That paid off, through hard work he was a straight A student through high school and college. Not super smart, just worked hard at it.