Harbor freight.

I kind of fall into the "Quality is dictated by need, safety, and cost" camp. I have many tools I purchased at HF.

Need - If it is a tool I expect to use rarely and just need to get the job done I will often go to HF. Super small screwdriver sets, multitool, security bits, sanding blocks, heat gun, furniture dollys...

Safety - I consider some HF tools cheaply made, but if using them once in a while poses no safety issues then they might be my choice. I also go to HF for some safety items - gloves (fabric and latex), ear plugs, safety glasses ...

Cost - Sometimes the cost of a name brand is prohibitive. The multi tool is a good example. There are many choices now, but a few years ago when I bought my HF model there was just the Fien, at5 or 6 times the cost of the HF. I don't use it often, but it meets my needs.

Like others I have yet to find any serious woodworking tools at HF that interests me, but If I need a dead blow, cold chisel, one odd sized socket, air hose or fitting, etc., I'm there.

Last edited:
]]]

Chuck -
That's exactly what I wonder as well. More and more brands are beginning to look identical in the castings and engineering.

]]]

I agree, it's all about knowing which HF tool can actually do what we need them to. That's one of the great things about Youtube and the interweb in general.. A lot of people share their experiences with specific HF tools, and there are quite a few that I would add to my shop if I wasn't trying to upgrade to industrial machinery.

- Hutch

Last edited: