KALEIDOSCOPE PROJECT

Paul Douglass

I sort of started a thread on my new project here: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?32974-Ever-Have-Two-of-Those-Days-!

I want to move to this forum and post my progress. I am going to need help on this one. This isn't going to be a this is how i did it thread, more of a what do I do now thread. I've decided to build two as I go. My wife loves kaleidoscopes and a friend of mine has built one. When my wife saw it she got pretty excited about it. The problem is I want to build one similar to this:

IMG_2243.JPG

I want to see if I can make the mechanics work on it. My wife wants a simpler one that just sits on a stand and you pick up to look in it. So the answer is two.

I have cut out all the parts for the base for the first one (the stationary one, I will call it). It is Cherry wood.

IMG_2266.JPG

I have the base without legs for the second one (haven't decided on what I want for legs yet. It is maple with some curl.

IMG_2268.jpg

I am in a quandary now because I do no like the support for the stationary one as shone in the picture. Specifically I don't like the little "S" shaped do dads, nor the three dowels in the cutout. I'm thinking and searching the internet for ideas for something I like better.

I also need to order the plans to go with the picture. I can make the stand and some things by looking at the picture, but I will need plans for the kaleidoscope.

To be continued, at a slow pace. It is Spring, got to do some Spring and Summer outside work, which cuts down on shop time:(.

Last edited:
Well this project has created an overwhelming amount of interest! :rofl:

Good idea Jonathan, but not this time.

Anyway,,, I have the two support cut out and sanded. Like I stated above I didn't like "the little "S" shaped do dads, nor the three dowels in the cutout. I'm thinking and searching the internet for ideas for something I like better."

This is still plaguing me and I have been searching "clip art" for something to put in the cutout. I came up with a Celtic type cross I liked so I attempted to make something like it. This is what I came up with on my first attempt. Worked on it all day while waiting for finish to dry on my little pen box.

IMG_2292.jpg

If you can picture it instead of the three dowels in the first picture in the first post, honestly, what do you think? I picked something Celtic because what I have read about kaleidoscopes they originated by a Scotchman. Go Scotland!

Maybe this will help wit the critique, maybe not.

IMG_2293.jpg

Last edited:
I like the cross a lot more than the three dowels, but I'm also wondering if there needs to be anything there in the first place. To me, the cross seems to be competing with the lines of the side supports instead of complimenting them. I think this might be one of those cases where less is more. ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I can't disagree, the more I look at it. I wasn't sure about the cross, that is why I asked. Now I have to figure out how to patch the hole in the bottom of the cutout that I drilled to put something in there!....:doh:

From a newbie's perspective I also think the lines of the cross conflict too much with the lines of the original side supports. My initial thought was also to leave it as is, or if an "insert" was preferred, to make an insert that basically "duplicates' the inside curved lines of the hole in the supports, but make the new insert smaller to leave a narrow air gap between the insert & the support (having trouble describing this) with the insert being a solid piece recessed slightly from the face of the supports & secured at the top & bottom only from behind and/or with glue.