Some Steam punk

Jim Burr

zuhyzu5y.jpg
Been wondering how to do these for a while. The tutorial Dennis Peacock wrote made it crazy easy. Cast these last night...other one will be turned in a bit. Thanks for looking!
je6esehu.jpg
usu5ure5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398701506738.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398701506738.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It is a little steam punky - because there are what looks like plates riveted on.

They (rivets) didn't show up well in the pix Leo...but the boiler plate thing is what it's supposed to look like. Need some refinement, but they are a lot of fun to make!

Way cool! But what makes it steampunk?

Excellent question Roger, 1) because I was told it was 2) because I had to look up the definition since you asked ;). I think the watch part pens I do fit the definition better...but that's all I could come up with :eek:

Steam punk is cool.

The best example of steam punk it the movie --- Wild Wild Wild West with Will Smith.

Everything was steam powered and riveted boiler plate.

You are fully allowed to get stupid crazy and inventive.

NOTHING - is unacceptable in steam punk.

How about a space ship like the train at the end of Back to the Future III - that Emmitt Brown invented - THAT - is Steam Punk.

Steam Punk is on my list of creations for my CNC machine. I want to steam punk Moby Dick, Ahab, the whaling ship. Mostly because I grew up in the town of the origins of Moby Dick and still live in the area.

Steam Punk is cool.

Steam punk is cool, I agree with Leo. While those pens are great, they do not convey the steam punk idea or style very much. I saw some time ago in the web a step by step process of transforming a laptop into a steam punk one, and the results were way cool. I think that if apart from trying to mimic the rivets of a steam boiler you casted inside some gears and levers or cams taken from some discarded watch inside arranged so that they would suggest some sort of mechanism ( not just throwing them inside) you would get a better steam punk look. Apart from that, if you could somewhat make-up the other parts of the pen in a similar way that would make the trick. Make a search on the web looking for images of steam punk objects and you'll see what I mean.
You did a great job on those, but I'm sure that the next ones you make will be much better for sure. I look forward to see them!

I remember when the factories used to blow off steam whisltes for lunch and shift changes.

You probably do to.

Is that the concept behind the rivets, like a harkening back to old American factory days or something?

Very cool pens, I really like those!

Steam punk is very interesting, if you have read Burning Chrome or Neuromance by William Gibson, he also wrote a book called "The Difference Engine" in that Babbage perfects his Analytical Engine and the computer age arrives a century ahead of its time, imagine a past with computers, but the are all mechanical and run on steam power. I think this might have been the book that really brought Steam Punk to a wider audience.

Again, nice pens!

Thanks all!! These really are fun. Made a couple modifications to the "rivet" technique and changed the coloring agent. Sharpies have a tendency to turn bluish when thinned...not a fan. My friend Adam is making some Cigar style silicone molds for me, made some tubes already so they should show improvement.