We're Doing It Wrong

Dave Richards

I think we're all doing woodworking wrong. Check out this piece.

1127690_l.jpg

It's about 5-7/8" long by 3-1/2" wide. Maybe a dollar's worth of walnut. It's priced at $2800.00.:eek:

I'm going to get me some scraps of glass and go into the box makin' business. :D

Of course box sellin' is another matter.:rolleyes:

:eek: So is there a story behind this box? Owned by a prez, celeb, or something?

Though you might be on to something. Perhaps we all just need to raise our prices, then charging what we really need to make as a business wouldn't seem so bad. :)

I suppose there is a history since the box was manufactured in Italy in 1938. It was designed by Pietro Chiesa. Maybe that's the ticket. We need to adopt more unique names. I think instead of Darren Wright you should change your name to Xavier Sarsaparilla and wax your long black handlebar mustache. :D

It's too short. If it was 6 1/4" long, I would buy it for $2800. It'd be a nice storage place for the $100 bills I use to light my Cuban cigars.

:rofl:

...We need to adopt more unique names. I think instead of Darren Wright you should change your name to Xavier Sarsaparilla and wax your long black handlebar mustache. :D

I shall henceforth be referred to as Reginald Marberry III. You can call me R[SUP]3[/SUP] for short.

Ok, R-cubed. By how much did you increase your prices to keep pace with your new two dollar name?

R-cubed. Sounds like a rapper's moniker.

Yo dawg, I was gonna say something about my rap name, but didn't want to seem like I was too full of my self. But yeah, I can bust a rhyme wit the best of them. :thumb:

This rustic curly cherry bowl has been reduced to half price. It's only $1499.00...

Half%20Price%20800.jpg

If it were anybody but Dave Richards, I would comment about fine craftsmanship and age perhaps deserving an absurd price. But since it is Dave, it is probably just a SketchUp rendering, showing fine craftsmanship and age. :D

yuall might on to sumpin,, jist look at what hem bearded fellars down south are gettin for being them:) and vaughn yu need some more ugly cherry i found another bad piec the other day that is 1" thick make a plate instead of a bowl

I suppose there is a history since the box was manufactured in Italy in 1938. It was designed by Pietro Chiesa. Maybe that's the ticket. We need to adopt more unique names. I think instead of Darren Wright you should change your name to Xavier Sarsaparilla and wax your long black handlebar mustache. :D

Yeah, yeah, that's part of it. The other part is to buy some of that prehistoric wood, make it out of that and claim it is from 91,862 B.C. That oughta up the price ;-)

Clever. This is now an art piece and definitely worth a lot more. You need some sort of small white pedestal to put it on for display.

The broken wood is an expression of loss and separation, with the rim separation illustrating the futile grasping for your other half.
The cleverly added "1/2 price" sticker illustrates the artists loss and angst with the creative process.

I would suggest a title for the piece:
"Broken Dreams 1/2 Price"

It would probably help getting the price if you were dead as well.. or at least pretending to be..

Yo dawg, I was gonna say something about my rap name, but didn't want to seem like I was too full of my self. But yeah, I can bust a rhyme wit the best of them. :thumb:

This rustic curly cherry bowl has been reduced to half price. It's only $1499.00...

Half%20Price%20800.jpg

Oh brother! That's why I left fine art school back in the early 80s. I couldn't handle listening to people talk about how their art was an extension of their angst and all that is wrong with the world and Oh, woe is me, the poor artist who is never understood. :rolleyes::rofl:

Oh brother! That's why I left fine art school back in the early 80s. I couldn't handle listening to people talk about how their art was an extension of their angst and all that is wrong with the world and Oh, woe is me, the poor artist who is never understood. :rolleyes::rofl:

I find its better if you just imagine that they're just playing the to the crowd. Turns it a game of sorts which makes it a bit more pallatable. Kind of like watching a magician working the crowd, or perhaps more apt a pick pocket working a street show.