And a lamp to light the way..

Chuck Ellis

Haven't been working much lately with Dianne's hospitalization... but I did put in a few hours getting ready for my first show for the season... I like to do lamps and have found them to be pretty good sellers so far... I do two types, one is more or less an oil candle using the ultra pure oil candle inserts and glass lamp chimneys, the other is a full oil lamp, with burner, font(oil reservoir) and chimney. I've finally found a place where I can buy components but these two are actually made from lamps I found at Hobby Lobby... the first is turned from a green heart poplar log that I parted and turned like a lidded box, embedding the font in the log. 22-1874_0.jpg The log was parted just below the bead. The base is about 7 inches tall x about 6 inches diameter. The overall height is 16 inches. Finish is gloss polyurethane.

22-1878_1.jpg
This one is Bradford Pear with the same polyurethane finish and about the same size as the one above... I left the top of the font exposed on this one. It's fitted into the turning and then epoxied in. Dims are same as above.

22-1876_2.jpg 22-1875_0.jpg
These two are spalted Hackberry and finished with polyurethane also... these are the oil candles with the ultra pure oil candles. The chimneys are from local thrift shops or flea markets....and they are getting harder to find, or else the sellers have learned their value and prices have escalated.

Well done Chuck. Used oil lamps at camp for many years. They got replaced by propane lamps and then came electricity. Lots of fond oil lamp memories. I think we still have a box of chimneys in the attic. Maybe that's where all the chimneys are:)

Chuck I like the Bradford Pear one the most.like the shape color and especially the way the metal sticks out at the top. Its got a cool look the metal wood mix.
Those will all fly off the shelf.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Nice looking. I can see why they are good sellers. Did you like turning the Bradford pear? I made a rolling pin for my wife from some B. pear and it was like turning granite. :pullhair: Nebber again.

Nice looking. I can see why they are good sellers. Did you like turning the Bradford pear? I made a rolling pin for my wife from some B. pear and it was like turning granite. :pullhair: Nebber again.

Frank,
My Bradford was still slightly green... only been cut about a year... I like the way it cuts, it's very close grained so it finishes well.... I have a few logs left lying outside in the weather (under tarps) waiting until I get time to work it up.

Neat Lamps!

You are going to make me find the two that I have---somewhere around here in my storage. I see your lamps and it makes me want to get them out where I can see them again. One of them is off of an old British sailing vessel; the other one is from one of Myrna's relatives. I guess you could call them a couple of my old flames.

Enjoy,
JimB