Friday AM chuckle:)

larry merlau

got up early, and it was raining so the better half turned on the TV and this ole house was on and she said they were gonna make a end table,, so i thought perhaps i could learn something... well i did but not sure it was a good something:) they made jog for tapering the legs which was fine but he ran his fingers threw by the blade closer than normal.. then they cut to size and glued up the top. well they had enough glue for two table on the jointed edges and when they clamped it up they mentioned to not clamp to tight so that they wouldnt squeeze out all of the glue.. well this was a 30" long top by 24" deep and they use F style clamps on the end only and laying flat to clamp just the ends..:( then the they used a wet rag to clean off the excess glue.. they showed it dry and sanded before finish and the finish part was ok seemed to be a good method.. but the glueing and clamping wasnt.. and these folks have a TV show that is popular.. so its a good thing we have some folks here to show and tell us the right way to do things rather than the wrong ways being shown on TV:)

It comes to mind that I recently learned on FWW not to use a damp cloth to remove the squeeze out. You don't suppose that in my earlier life I watched the same show? :huh::rofl:

Just goes to show TV is for entertainment not for instruction. Not too mention it skips over a lot to get the end result. Afteer all, there has to be time for Festool commercials and the show ends in 30 minutes.

Making our customers think we charge too much for 30 minutes of work!

lol!!!
here's a "behind the scenes" tidbit for you. TOH hails from my neck of the woods here in the NE. And one of their hosts, who shall remain nameless, started his own show with Sears as a sponsor. Well, it seems that everyone was supposed to be using Craftsman tools that worked on the show, in one scene a plumber was working in the basement and this host saw that he didn't have a Craftsman hammer. He stopped the shot went over and took the plumbers hammer and replaced it with a Craftsman.
Said plumber picked up the craftsman hammer, walked over to the cellar door and threw it out the back as far as he could, walked back picked up HIS hammer and went back to work.
I had a few friends and associates work on both shows over the years and yes it could get quite farcical!!

I keep telling you Larry, there is a whole tv show right here in our laps within this FWW community.

Jonathan i thought the same thing and especially with regards to the tour de wood trips. If we can have absurd reality shows on tv make hits out of nothing, this would be a block buster. :thumb: But maybe its not weird enough for modern viewers.:huh: :dunno:

Jonathan i thought the same thing and especially with regards to the tour de wood trips. If we can have absurd reality shows on tv make hits out of nothing, this would be a block buster. :thumb: But maybe its not weird enough for modern viewers.:huh: :dunno:

Maybe if Larry grew a long beard...:rofl:

It seems to be a common thing in those programs. I've seen one here where the guy put special emphasis in showing us that when using a metal hack saw the teeth of the blade should point backwards :eek::confused::crazy:, gave some jumpy strokes and voilà, change of camera plane and the metal pipe was perfectly sawn. The only thing I envy is the size of his shop and the tools that he has.