Some Shii Wood From The Local Shinto Shrine

...Next one I'll use my small face plate, should work better.

As an aside, one trick I've used when using a face plate on the bark side of a blank is to make a flat mounting spot with a large Forstner bit on my drill press. Since I don't have any 3" or 4" Forstner bits to match my face plates, I simply set the depth stop on the drill press, then drill a series of overlapping shallow holes until I have a flat spot large enough to fit the face plate. Quick, easy, and works like a charm.

You likely have already thought of this, but I figured I'd mention it in case others hadn't. :)

As an aside, one trick I've used when using a face plate on the bark side of a blank is to make a flat mounting spot with a large Forstner bit on my drill press. Since I don't have any 3" or 4" Forstner bits to match my face plates, I simply set the depth stop on the drill press, then drill a series of overlapping shallow holes until I have a flat spot large enough to fit the face plate. Quick, easy, and works like a charm.

You likely have already thought of this, but I figured I'd mention it in case others hadn't. :)

Yes that is exactly what I do. :D