A Shopmade Live Center Accessory

Stuart Ablett

I have the Oneway Live Center, it is a very good tool.

Oneway_Live_Centre.jpg

It has a small center for most work, but it also has a threaded portion that you can put the larger center on or the reversible large bullnose center on, very useful, but, I find that one some items, like the Toothpick Dispensers I'm making the aluminum often leaves black marks on the wood.

IMG_7821.JPG

Here you can see the Oneway Live Center with a bolt inserted into the place you usually put the stop pin so you can unthread things, so I can install the live center on the headstock and it will turn, in this way I clean up the aluminum part, as it gets dinged up from use.

IMG_7822.JPG

I had some Delrin plastic on hand from a job and and ended up making this Delrin nose cone for the live center.

IMG_7824.JPG

I drilled it out with a 16.5mm bit and then threaded it with a 3/4"-10TPI tap, I think it is going to do the job nicely!

Cheers!

Clever adaptation from the Delrin, Stu. But, I am disturbed that Oneway uses aluminum for those parts. At the prices they charge for their stuff, one would think it would all be top grade steel. :huh:

Clever adaptation from the Delrin, Stu. But, I am disturbed that Oneway uses aluminum for those parts. At the prices they charge for their stuff, one would think it would all be top grade steel. :huh:

The whole thing is top grade steel, the only parts that are not are the aluminium cones, but they are such so if you touch them with your tool you don't damage the tool.

Old, Eddie, cracks me up. He doesn't always do things the way I would. I would not crank one of my fornster bits up against a piece of steel to hold a tap as I tapped something. I like my fornster bits! Seems to me that is not a good thing for that type of bit. And he always has these bandages on his fingers for some reason:).

Love to watch his stuff.

Well, I did purchase the Oneway live center. As soon as I can get back in my shop I'll give it a spin (pun intended).

I was going to turn a large "pointy" and a large "cone" to use in the live center I already have. However the Oneway looked too good to pass up. I'll find out in a couple weeks when I can find the lathe again.

I enjoyed the show.

Now You Enjoy,
JimB