flatwork? well, its made out of wood and it covers electric panel

allen levine

I was busy experimenting with Les Elms dipping method the past couple of days, making wood pens, playdoh, dowels, and while that's been drying, I have been laying on my belly filling in cracks in my blacktop driveway. Doing 3 tubes of filler a day, that's all my back can take.
This morning, my neighbor, (a close friend), asked me if I could make him a panel to cover his electric panel, this after he had a new kitchen put in. Im not sure why he didn't just have a door made to cover it, but then I saw why.
Hed have to move his fridge everytime he needed to open the door.
He just wanted something he could paint , and lift it off without a problem.
simple, but still took me almost 3 hours.
Used hard maple and some birch ply.

To hang it to lift off, I used my biscuit cutter, and he will attach two table top fasteners to the wall and just lay the panel over them so it hangs snug to the wall, just what he wanted. Exactly what he wanted. He only wanted 3 sides, didn't want it to be in the way of the fridge.

Ill sand it down tomorrow and he will prime and paint it.
Once its done, I believe they are going to buy a white message board or a cork board and hang it on it to cover up the panel.
I suggested I make a small spice rack but they don't want to move the toaster oven, but a message board will look fine there.

another happy customer. Him and the wife loved it. don't take much to make some people happy.
I decided to charge them one extra hotdog at the next bbq.

Attachments

• lectricpanelcover 001.jpg
    lectricpanelcover 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 57
  • lectricpanelcover 003.jpg
    lectricpanelcover 003.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 57
  • lectricpanelcover 002.jpg
    lectricpanelcover 002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 68
Looks great Allen and a good neighborly thing to do too. I think you sold yourself short...that looks like its worth 2 hot dogs at least! :thumb::D

I think I kinda gave him a hard time as to why he didn't have the kitchen people do something about the panel.

the way I look at it-youre making a once in a lifetime investment in your home. Any improvements will pay off when you sell it down the road.
Might as well enjoy what you have now, and if you are going for new appliances, new cabinets, why leave any part of the kitchen leaving you unhappy. I just didn't get it.
(btw, his contractor was top notch, I wish my kitchen guy was as good as his, prepped the walls so nice, smoothed out everything, painted beforehand, tile work excellent)

Last edited:
Nice work Allen. I'd have put picture frame molding around it and a nice bit of kitchen art work in the frame. Couple more prints on the wall and it would look like part of the composition.