The McNaughton Center Saver Changed???

Stuart Ablett

I have a McNaughton Center Saver coring system, I don't get to use it much as I don't get a lot of larger blanks, but I noticed today that the "New" version has a modified turret set up.....

micro-post-new.jpg

and I've seen some with a bar that adjusts up and down on the square piece of tubing on the back as well.

I have to old T-turret, and being the fabricator that I am, I'm wondering if I could or should make a new version....?

Also I found this new video, boy does Dale Bonetz do a great job of explaining how to really use this tool, the best I'v seen yet, I'm going to watch it a few more times!

Anyone else using this tool regular like?

Also my old turret does not have any insert steps for the two blade sizes I have, the mini and the standard, so I guess I have to set the turret height for each blade....??

Bad words were said :doh:

Looks like I used to have the step for the turret.....

attachment.php

On the lower left you can see it taped on to the pin part of the turret. I've had a good look around but I can't find it!

I can also see on the turret that I've used this tool with out the step, as there are marks on the turret, maybe this is why I've had so much trouble with this set up, the lack of using the step thingy.

I see the standard blades are 24.4mm tall, the mini blades are 20mm tall, I wonder how big the jumbo blades are, as they are used without the step thing.

Does anyone have this older setup? Do you have one or two steps?

Can you tell me how thick the step is?

Cheers!

I know Vaughn has one...he should be around shortly. I'm doing the One way...the learning curve on the McN is to expensive for me! :eek:;)

OK, ask my wife, I can be quite impatient.....

IMG_7867.JPG

The larger piece is 6mm thick, the smaller one is 4.5mm thick

IMG_7868.JPG

Not perfect, but I think this will work

IMG_7869.JPG

A mini blade, it is just below the tops of the pins

IMG_7870.JPG

A standard blade, it is also just below the tops of the pins

IMG_7871.JPG

Neither riser block interferes with the other.

I contacted Kelton Industries about this and within an hour I got an email back asking for more info about which unit I have, Kel said they don't make it anymore but might have some parts laying around.

Being as I have a piece on the lathe right now waiting to be cored I decided to just make this up and then see what Kel comes up with.

Looking at various pics on the web it looks like the knives are supposed to be just below the tops of the pins, so I think this might work.

I'm really impressed with the quick reply and helpful attitude of Kelton industries. :thumb:

Now I have to watch that video again and to relearn this tool, wish me luck!

Cheers!

Last edited:
My turret has the steps built in, as I recall. Yours must be older. But mine is still old enough to not have the new "box" to retain the blade better. I like the looks of the new design.

Based on my limited experience with the McNaughton, I'll only use it on green wood. I've had too many intense pucker moments trying to use it on dry (or nearly dry) blanks.

So on your turret Vaughn, when you have the mini knife or the standard knife in the right place, does the top of the knife just sit slightly shy of the tops of the pins or...?

I also made a stop collar as it was suggested in the Dale Bonertz video....

IMG_7872.JPG

IMG_7873.JPG

A basic thing, but it should help with set up etc.

Cheers!

While I am certainly not an expert with this contraption, I have had some success. You are correct that the blades sit as you have them pictured. Really just need to keep them from twisting. Dale's video is definitely excellent. Robo Hippy (aka Reed Gray) has put his video on YouTube now instead of having to buy it-search for his channel. You'll do fine Stu-just keep the handle up and work in slowly.

Stu, I don't have the mini knives...just the regular and large (or however they designate the next two sizes larger). And I believe Dale is right about the blades sitting flush with the tops of the posts. (I don't have mine handy to check.) But the primary thing, as I recall, is having the cutting tip running level at the exact same height as the spindle...like the Easy Wood tools. I like the stop collar idea. I use a block of wood that I cut to the right length, but the collar looks like a better solution for sure.

Stu, I don't have the mini knives...just the regular and large (or however they designate the next two sizes larger). And I believe Dale is right about the blades sitting flush with the tops of the posts. (I don't have mine handy to check.) But the primary thing, as I recall, is having the cutting tip running level at the exact same height as the spindle...like the Easy Wood tools. I like the stop collar idea. I use a block of wood that I cut to the right length, but the collar looks like a better solution for sure.

You are correct, about the sizes, I have the Mini and the Standard. I do NOT have the Jumbo. They now make a Micro but you need a different Pin Turret for that, as the spacing between the pins is critical, as well as the height of the knives on the riser blocks that go between the pins.

I'm having quite the adventure with all of this, and I want to share it, so the next poor sap.....ah, next guy who tries these tools might find something of use, so I'm going to start a new thread, I will rehash some of this content.

Please stand by....... :wave: