OK, how 'bout this one?

OK here is my answer. Please note, for your protection, I am not one of the great turners---In fact I am on the lower end of medium.

I did not find that model number in the catalog.

I cannot tell the thread on the head stock. Just be sure it is one of the MAIN threads in use; otherwise you will be extremely limited in which chucks, faceplates, etc. that you can obtain.

Be sure it is a Morse 2 or 3 on the head and tail stock.

If that variable drive is a Reeves drive talk to some of the members that have lathes with that kind of variable speed drive. I have read a lot of complaints about them. I'm not saying don't do it. I am saying, "Be careful."

Personally, I would like to have a low speed end around 30 rpm. That seems to be difficult to find. The lowest speed on my Delta is 250 rpm and that is my main complaint with my lathe. There are quite a few things that I would like to do that I cannot do at 250. For example, I like to put finish on the piece while it is on the lathe and turning. Then I let it run for awhile after finish is applied so the finish can start drying without a "down" to allow the finish to sag. It also prevents bugs from getting in the finish. (The real finish guys and gals are probably starting to gag at this point in my post.)

The price sounds fine to me for that size lathe with that hp.

That's my 2 cents worth and that is probably all it is worth---unless it makes you think of something you had not already thought of.

Enjoy,
JimB

I know quite a few folks have used that model and turned nice things on it. It does appear to be in clean shape. In my opinion, the price seems high ($100 or more too high) for a discontinued machine. (It sold new for between $325 and $500.) This model has a Reeves drive, which may or may not need periodic servicing. When they work, Reeves drives tend to work well. But when they're acting up, they are a major pain. And the fancy articulating tool rest looks useful, but in reality vibrates excessively, especially when working on bigger pieces. (Things like tool rests are interchangeable, though. Most of us have more than one.)

I believe Frank Fusco had a Griz G1067...hopefully he can chime in with some first-person experience.

Roger it is a reeves drive. I have the Busy Bee version of that lathe. Its my view Grizz gets a way better quality of machine than BB .
Vaughn thats the price of second hand machines in our neck of the woods.

Roger were i you i would go look and inspect the lathe. Check out if the machining of the ways were done properly and the banjo moves smoothly. Then check out how welll the tailstock lines up with the spindle. On mine i have to continously be concious of pushing my tailstock to one side when i move it before tightening. Mine does not line up with the tailstock. Grizz quality is definitely better but just check it out.
Speed is the other issue. Its lowest speed is still too fast for my liking on some items. But lets remember lots of people have had a great deal of fun on machines like this and lessor. I dont think this is going to be an eazy sell for the owner so negotiation is in order. Negotiate from a distance with subject to being the operative word. Then given other options around our parts i would consider it an option if the budget can handle it.
Bewarned though, this is not a light casting machine.
What i am thinking here is say u stuck to your guns and got a mini. Well as you get older its a more "manageable" machine. Also say u want to turn pens indoor in winter, i see the mini lathes being great for this, but this sucker is heavy to move and asko me how i know. :)
If i recall correctly u want to turn pens. I think the minis are a better choice for that, i can see a celtic knot never looking right if turned on this lathe if its anything like mine.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You can get it's brother at HF for less than $200 when on sale. The HF is not quite as well finished but basically the same lathe. I had the HF one for several years and it was a decent started lathe. As stated above, it needs slower low speed, the tool rest is not a good one and there is no hand wheel. I never had any problems with the drive on mine, but I have read about those who had. I think $300 is a bit high, but maybe you could talk him down some and also things tend to be a little higher in Canada.

Spindle size 1" 12 TPI is not standard, you have to buy Grizzly accessories I guess.

Slowest speed is 510 RPM?

Just tonight I was starting a medium blank at 300 RPM and glad it went that slow.

I don't know what to tell you Roger, I have a Nova DVR 3000, it is a great machine, but I wish I had waited and sprung for the Vicmarc VL300, that is the machine I really want.

I'm sure you could do a bunch of great turning on that machine.

I too think that Frank Fusco has or had that lathe, so maybe he'll chime in.

One thing is if you do get that lathe and then down the road you do step up a level, none of the 1" 10 TPI stuff will work with the new lathe.

I also agree that the price is too high, I'd offer him $200 and see if he will take $250, or toss in some extras, also why has he had it so long and has only used it a little, maybe a good reason, but maybe it is just not that easy to use, so he gave up...?

Cheers!

Thanks very much for the advice, guys! Vaughn, I wondered about that tool rest myself, but I have a LV or four near me. Also BB for that matter. It is MT2 at both ends. I haven't checked, but I can probably get an adapter for the headstock threads at Penn State next time I go to Philadelphia, probably in June.

I had a HF starter lathe previously, and turned out stuff within my skill level, all between centres, and had a good time with it. This is a heavier, stronger lathe and should last until my next step up. This lathe sold for about $550 in Canada, so I'll offer $250 and see what happens. At this price range I will avoid the wrath of the Memsahib, too. ;)

I find a lot of people buy tools thinking they will use them, and eventually the tools just sit around because the user hasn't the time or the training to use the tool. Before I took a course, I had turned out one thing on my HF lathe, and it looked like someting the dog had chewed. In fact, I think she did chew it eventually. Later I got some decent tools and began to turn stuff I could show my family. I want to graduate to smaller bowls, and the HF lathe wasn't up to it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Good point: http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathe_Accessories/adaptor_page.htm - INSERT E might work, unsure if if the thread on the lathe is UNC or UNF.

Yes that would be the way to go, but, most of the cheaper chucks, to my knowledge, do not have this insert system, they only have one choice of threads that they come with.

The sad truth is that a chuck that can accept an insert will cost about as much as the lathe :eek:

I do see the Super Nova 2 Reconditioned >> here << for $139

I wish shipping was not half that again, or I'd buy another one, I love that chuck :thumb:

I'm going to visit it today. I'll be talking to his Mom, but I'll check it out and then offer $250 and see if they bite. I'll probably have to wait for him to get back to me, unless he's already told his Mom he'll accept that. Then I'll have to go up there with my son, as there's no way I can help move a 179lb. machine.

Made the deal!

It look like someone took a brand new lathe, and sprinkled a little sawdust on it. It has all the important parts. It belonged to the young man's father, and neither he nor his mother know a lot about lathes. He thinks there are some chucks lying about somewhere, and possibly the key for the switch. :rolleyes:

I think there should be a knockout bar for the headstock, but the tailstock has one of those automatic thingies that pops the centre out when you turn the tailstock all the way back.

I got it for $250 as is, and $300 if he can turn up a couple of chucks, faceplates, etc. I am going to pick it up on Friday.

A knock out only need to be a piece of rod that will fit, that is easy. So I guess Congratulations are in order, and in a couple weeks we will see some nice pictures of fancy turning, right? Let the fun begin!