suggestions needed on larger lathe

allen levine

Its time I start watching sales and offerings and doing my research.

Don't let larry know Im looking to buy a large lathe.

Im not looking for a used lathe, but I don't need to spend more than I need too, but want a quality machine, with a good reputation, a good history, as Im not the best with motors and machinery. I don't want to buy a starter lathe either, Im done with that stuff. I don't collect tools, I want to use them as much as possible and get my moneys worth out of it.

I want to turn bowls. Not 25 inch bowls, but 10-15 inches?
I want enough power and don't want the lathe to rattle or shake when I mount a chunk of wood.
a big problem is that I don't have 220 power, so the lathe has to come factory wired for 110.( I cannot rewire a motor myself nor do I care to have someone do it for me, call me a wimp, I don't care)
Variable speed. Good solid motor with strong reliable parts. I don't want to buy a lathe and then people suggest I buy after market parts to spruce it up. I want to purchase a good machine with good workable parts.
IF at all possible, are any of these lathes made to be mobile? As in a movable base? If not, can I build one or purchase one or that is highly not recommended?

Please do not be insulted if you offer a suggestion and in the end I don't purchase the brand you reco.
I don't want to offend anyone here with experience, but Im going to watch prices and purchase at the right time.
I need to purchase a decent few tools, and a sharpening system eventually, or maybe along with it.
Its going to be costly, so research and purchasing at right time is essential.

Ill look at every reco, compare all prices, watch sales, watch shipping prices, and Ill strike when its right.

I think Im going to roll my jet lathe into my shed, to make some room for the larger lathe. I have a spot under my wood storage where I can plant the larger lathe, without a mobile base, but Id still prefer mobility if at all possible, not compromising the lathes stability.

I don't think Ill ever be an avid woodturner, but I do enjoy it, and I think it is a keen hobby to pursue at this point in my life.
While I think my flat work days are numbered, I believe woodturning can take me as long as I want it too. And noise isn't an issue with it, so I can take it wherever I move too without worrying about upsetting new neighbors.

thankyou in advance.

Allen in my opinion the Jet 1642 1.5hp 110v is a great fit for what you're talking about. My dad has had one for about 4yrs now and loves it. I've turned on it several times and love it too. I think Jet just had a sale a few months ago so not sure when another one will happen.

For a bit smaller footprint I think there is a Nova DVR that is 110 1.5HP but I'm not positive about that.

+1 on the Jet. Its very similar in a lot of ways to the bigger PM, nice lathe.

The Grizzly G0632 is somewhat comparable to the Jet spec wise, some have noted some fit and finish differences with it but quite a few folks seem to like it as well.

The Nova DVR XP also fits your criteria and seems like a good lathe. Price wise it seems to be on the higher end vs features compared to the Jet and Grizz, don't know if its justified or not.

Assuming things like the Robust lathes are out of your price bracket (and honestly on their lower end line the price is higher in comparison than it is when comparing higher end lathes - although the sweet 16 can be had in 110v with a 32" swing :eek: :D)

If you're primarily looking at bowls and not longer spindle pieces, I think the Nova DVR XP would be a good fit for you and your shop. It has 1.75 HP at 120 v. It's relatively compact, and since you'd most likely be building the base/stand for it yourself, you could make it mobile. Or, if you did buy their steel base, it can be made mobile, too. (Heck, my 600 pound Powermatic was made mobile with the addition of four good casters.) I'm personally not a big fan of the "knobless" (pushbutton) speed control, but there are a lot of very satisfied DVR owners out there. It's a solid performer.

Finding any of the lathes in the 16" to 20" range on sale is gonna be tough. The Jet goes on sale periodically, but the others typically don't get discounted often (if at all.)

Oh, and as an aside, rewiring a motor is about as tricky as changing a light bulb. Seriously, it's very easy and straightforward.

The Jet lathe is on sale now, 15% off. Free shipping

http://www.cpojettools.com/jet-708359-jwl-1642evs--16-in--x-42-in--1-1-2-hp-woodworking-lathe/jetn708359,default,pd.html?ref=msn&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=jwl-1642evs&utm_content={AdID}&utm_campaign={OrderItemID}&sissr=1

Jet 1642. Its a 'you won't regret it' machine.

Yeah it is, I had an opportunity to get one a few years back and opted for the 1442 for a couple of features the 1642 didn't have... while I love my 1442, I do regret not getting the 1642 now.... I've rarely ever used the features on the 1442 I thought were so important when I bought.

Yeah it is, I had an opportunity to get one a few years back and opted for the 1442 for a couple of features the 1642 didn't have... while I love my 1442, I do regret not getting the 1642 now.... I've rarely ever used the features on the 1442 I thought were so important when I bought.

For the record - I'm slightly curious what those features are?

Allen in my opinion the Jet 1642 1.5hp 110v is a great fit for what you're talking about. My dad has had one for about 4yrs now and loves it. I've turned on it several times and love it too. I think Jet just had a sale a few months ago so not sure when another one will happen.

For a bit smaller footprint I think there is a Nova DVR that is 110 1.5HP but I'm not positive about that.

Yup...mine is fantastic!

The problem I see with the DVR is the swing out tool rest. More vibration than I care to abuse myself or my lathe with.

Here is another vote for the Nova DVR. Tech talk for a moment.... it has a digital motor - variable speed with no belts - so they claim that with the 110 volt power, they can get as much transfer to the work as a 2+ HP motor (which will require 220 volts).

I love mine - although I am primarily a flat lander, and turn bowls as a sort of hobby, I also had a couple requirements for long spindles (and actually some long turned columns), and was able to add the bed extensions to the DVR to have a long lathe when I need it, and a more compact lathe most of the time.

See the mahogany column (actually sipo) that I was hired to make for this wine cellar:

wine25.jpg

As I recall, Allen has a bed extension on his Jet mini, so he's probably got the long spindle stuff covered.

Jim, although the Nova articulating tool rest does look like a vibration-fest, the extra bits can be removed and the it can be used as a conventional banjo/tool rest if wanted. (In my experience, I've never seen a swing-out tool rest that didn't vibrate like a 50 cent massage bed at a cheap motel.)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the DVR for several reasons, but they are strictly personal preferences. For Allen's needs, though (space, capacity, power requirements), I think the DVR would work out nicely.

Variable speed.

I suppose you mean electronic speed? Mine is variable but you do have to move the belt (about 1 minute).
I hear the Nova DVR is good but for $1,000 less I went with the Nova 1624. I have never moved the belt for spindles and normally only once for bowl/platter type. Once in a blue moon I move the belt twice on bowls. It is 1.5 hp on 110. Mine is stable enough as is but some people do add a shelf and 200-300 lbs of ballast. I did buy the outrigger when I purchased the lathe but sold it a few months back (after 4 years) for a $100 loss because I never turned any thing over 16" and it was an expensive knock-out bar holder.
WC had them on sale for $950 but I believe that sales is over. Tools Plus has them for $985 and free shipping, the DVR is $1939.
http://tools-plus.com/nova-lathes.html
They also carry the Jets and others.

I have to move the belt on the 1220, variable speed, electronic would be much better ofcourse.

I sent Vaughn a pm, since Im lost with electricity questions, but Ill ask and show how dumb I am.

I was told I can only get one phase service, the 1642 lathe is 110, but says a 3 phase motor, does this mean I cannot purchase this lathe if I wanted to? Im lost here. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
The motor may be 3 phase but it doesn't need 3 phase power. The motor is controlled by the digital variable speed which requires an ordinary 120V 'plug it in your wall outlet' power source. Sometimes we don't need to understand the how and why. In this case, plug it in and enjoy. Good if it were a dedicated circuit but not necessary. If the circuit blows, just readjust the load on that circuit, reset the breaker and you are good to go. However, them electronic thingies don't much like suddenly losing power to often. So check what else is plugged into that circuit before proceeding.

Oh, and as an aside, rewiring a motor is about as tricky as changing a light bulb. Seriously, it's very easy and straightforward.

You should go on stage with that kind of comedy. :rofl:
I need a Boy Scout and instruction book to change flashlight batteries. And, two Boy Scouts to change a light bulb. Rewire a motor? Thanks for today's levity. :D

Can't debate that except to add, the Grizzly equivalent.
I occasionally see a shop that has a honkin' big 'ole cast iron lathe with manual gear and/or belt speed changers. I kinda envy them. The machines run quite and vibration free and do the job very well. And, the motors can be changed without fussing with fancy electronics.

Three phase motors have good starting torque (including torque at low speeds). I had not thought about it, but part of the electronic trickery of my DVR is obviously to convert the single phase from the power plug to whatever waveshape and frequency makes the motor happy. It is fun to watch the digital readout... set it for 1800 rpm, for example, and you can hear the motor add power if the rpm drops to 1795 or 1790.

The head of the DVR rotates to any direction. For bowls, I usually turn it about 30 degrees out, for easier access (rather than for the extra diameter), and use the regular banjo and toolrest. Those are plenty stable. I also bought a curved tool rest in addition to the straight one, which makes bowls a little easier.

The outboard tool rest (to allow you to turn the head all the way around and turn huge pieces outside of the lathe bed) is a waste. I bought it and have never used it, other than to try it and ask myself why.

I think the "vacuum" clamp costs about $20, but if the price has gone up a lot, I will tell you how to make one. It is primarily a sealed bearing that goes in the headstock (inside the handle) that you can put a vacuum connection in the center. There is an airtight hole through the headstock, unlike some fancy lathes. I then run the faceplate with a large flat disc (3/4" plywood), covered with closed cell foam (shelf liner). For reasonable size bowls a shop vac provides enough vacuum to allow you to gently finish and sand the bottom of a bowl - for small bowls (with a smaller area for air pressure) I get out the vacuum pump.