Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciprocating saw blades

Reciprocating saw blades

Looking to know what you would recommend as the best blade to use on reciprocating saw for cutting metal. By metal i mean bolts in particular. Got an upcoming auto repair job where i can see cutting bolts being a requirement. Want to stock up on some blades that not only will cut but last a bit too. My experience to date has been with poor poor quality non branded junk.

Now i went looking and all it did was confuse the heck out of me. I see Milwaukee here and Diablo (freuds contractor version) but i understood the best brand ??? is Lennox is this correct and if so which Lennox because i see even in the Milwaukee line up there are several layers with tech argon and fancy teeth that to me look good for cutting nails in 2x but not bolts or steel.

BTW this is a tool i only came across for the first time coming to this part of the world. Its not that much use on houses made of brick and mortar where i came from. But it sure is a handy tool to have. has got me out of many a tight spot.

Has anyone used a one of the oscillating multi function tools to cut bolts and if so what blade did you choose to use?

Not looking forward to this job.
    cheers

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall and have used several brands of blades with it. If I need to cut metal, I simply buy blades that are labelled 'metal'. They have no problem going through large nails and screws. I've also used it to cut all-thread to length, etc.

Here's a good choice.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 05-09-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Add link.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

yup on the lennox rob no others match in my book,, and the tooth setup bill mentioned should work well.. when you go to get them tell them your cutting bolts not nails.. dont know the tooth count i use but they will wear out but they worth ever penny..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Depending on where you're cutting, I'd either use a 4" grinder with some of the thin cutting wheels from HF or a 3" die grinder/rotozip with them, quicker and a lot less effort, but more sparks.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Lenox first; Milwaukee a fair second; and a long distance to the rest of the pack.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

darren makes a good point rob if you can get in there to do it.. wear eye protection and ear plugs..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Re: Reciprocating saw blades

Thanks guys, picked up a Lenox today. Darren thanks grinder is at the ready too. This is all in prep of the big day.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

I'd probably use a cold chisel and a small sledge hammer with a cut down handle.

5 or 6 good pops and most bolts will shear right off at the nut.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks guys, picked up a Lenox today. Darren thanks grinder is at the ready too. This is all in prep of the big day.
    A Lenox - as in 'just one?' Those things break, you know. I buy them in five-packs.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Oh Jim i plan on getting more but its all the store i went to had. Trust me i dont go into battle without ammo. Lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers