Reciprocating saw blades

Rob Keeble

Looking to know what you would recommend as the best blade to use on reciprocating saw for cutting metal. By metal i mean bolts in particular. Got an upcoming auto repair job where i can see cutting bolts being a requirement. Want to stock up on some blades that not only will cut but last a bit too. My experience to date has been with poor poor quality non branded junk.

Now i went looking and all it did was confuse the heck out of me. I see Milwaukee here and Diablo (freuds contractor version) but i understood the best brand ??? is Lennox is this correct and if so which Lennox because i see even in the Milwaukee line up there are several layers with tech argon and fancy teeth that to me look good for cutting nails in 2x but not bolts or steel.

BTW this is a tool i only came across for the first time coming to this part of the world. Its not that much use on houses made of brick and mortar where i came from.:rofl: But it sure is a handy tool to have. has got me out of many a tight spot.

Has anyone used a one of the oscillating multi function tools to cut bolts and if so what blade did you choose to use?

Not looking forward to this job. :(

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall and have used several brands of blades with it. If I need to cut metal, I simply buy blades that are labelled 'metal'. They have no problem going through large nails and screws. I've also used it to cut all-thread to length, etc.

Here's a good choice.

Last edited:
yup on the lennox rob no others match in my book,, and the tooth setup bill mentioned should work well.. when you go to get them tell them your cutting bolts not nails.. dont know the tooth count i use but they will wear out but they worth ever penny..

Depending on where you're cutting, I'd either use a 4" grinder with some of the thin cutting wheels from HF or a 3" die grinder/rotozip with them, quicker and a lot less effort, but more sparks. ;)

I want to thank you guys for the Lennox blade recommendation, Bill those laser blades are absolutely amazing. Luckily our Lowes is beginning to learn from the Target Canada experience and what do you know they had them in stock.

I cut through a number of bushings with high tensile bolts and the bushing collar itself on the weekend and even when cutting pretty close to the tip of the bade they did not flinch. Well worth the money, they going on the US shopping list so i can get them at a reasonable price.
The difference for anyone needing a metal cutting blade is day and night to any of the other brands. I did use the shorter version of the one you linked to Bill. :thumb: