Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC DC ducts

PVC DC ducts

For those using PVC for their DC pipes, what type are you using? Schedule 40 or the thinner stuff? I saw some of the thinner stuff over by the outdoor drainage supplies, just made me question which everyone was using.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I used the thinner stuff. The local habitat had 10' pipes for $5 so I took a chance and it works great.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    I used the thinner stuff. The local habitat had 10' pipes for $5 so I took a chance and it works great.
    Cool, so it will slip over the plastic gates and connectors too?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

6" ASTM-2729 with one bell end for all my stuff. Slides together air tight, is light and easy when changes are required. No problems at all. I'd do it again. Wish I had bought a few more extra sticks before the price jumped a few years back; I think I am down to two.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yes it will, but I did have to add some tape to make it a bit more snug.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Dunno, it's only one thickness easily available here in the 15cm stuff, I think it is the thicker stuff.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

thinner stuff for the above the floor usage darren, and under ground i used scd 40 the plastic gates will fit in the fittings and may need some duct tape to fit snug but most fit fine use the metal duct tape to seal off regular duct tape doesnt hold up for the long haul.. i have some metal pipe here but your to far for shipping or delivery..unless you got someone over this way headed your way its free come get it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks all and thanks for the offer Larry, not quite sure what I need just yet.

I've got the 2hp HF, so I can either pull the splitter off and go from the 5" inlet to some 6" pipe (what is available at the borg) , check with a local plumbing supply to see if 5" pvc is available, or just run two 4" runs, which may work fine for my layout. I've also seen where folks have removed the front plate with the 5" inlet on the DC and replace it with 1/2" mdf with a 6" connector added.

So is dust collection anything like trying to pump water up a wall (think sump pump)? Is there any noticeable suction loss if the lift was to be 10' - 12' high and 30' - 50' in length?
    Darren

BTW, going to try this stove pipe mod out...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=Stovepipe+mod

He's using 5" stove pipe with two elbows to replace the flex line between the fan and separator.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    BTW, going to try this stove pipe mod out...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=Stovepipe+mod

He's using 5" stove pipe with two elbows to replace the flex line between the fan and separator.
    Worth it - but imho better is to do what I did and lift the impeller up and turn it sideways and make it just a single straight shot into the fan and the bag assembly.

5" PVC does exist but it rarer and I'm not sure if its available in the thinner/cheaper stuff. My tests with the HF unit and 6" flex weren't very encouraging, it was leaving a lot of material laying in the pipe which makes me think it probably doesn't have enough airspeed to keep the pipes clear at 6". Granted that was with flex not smoothwall so ymmv.