Thanks FWW - Lots of photos

David Agnew

Well, a few weeks back, I did a major cleaning job in my shop/garage. I realized how much leftover PT wood I have from building my deck. That lead to Adirondack Chair Thread. The overwhelming response there and generosity of plans basically FORCES me to make a couple chairs. Hundreds of photos were requested. :D

These are not those photos. :eek:

I just came to realize I hadn't posted followups on a lot of the things all you folks have helped me with over the... wow! Years, now. All these photos were taken this morning.

Here's a photo of the DECK you guys helped design:
attachment.php

Thread: CLICK HERE
There are some things I'd do differently, but I learned a long time ago that that's how I learn. By trial and (mostly) error! :) The stairs were really interesting because the patio is sagging there. The stairs are square and plumb, but the right stringer is about 1.25" longer than the left!!
I finished it up in April/May of 2013.

Here's photos of the MISSION TABLE LAMPS you guys helped design:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Thread: CLICK HERE
I made a pair because SWMBO wanted matching bedside lamps. Frankly, I'm not 100% satisfied with them... possibly not 95% satisfied. The bases are cherry and they're just so washed out and muddy. The grain isn't popping at all. Of course, it's cherry, so there's not much grain to pop. I think I need to build a few more using 100% QS white oak. I may also go back and ease the edges a little. I worked very hard to make sure all the corners were nice and sharp... but it seems like sharp corners make it look 'unfinished' somehow. Maybe the next ones will have "real" Arts & Crafts shades w/ panels, but these $9 craft store shades work well too. Yup - all in, wood, hardware, wiring, shades, each of these is only about $35. Plus labor, of course!
These lamps were finished in March 2014.

This OUTDOOR TABLE is one FWW didn't help design, but did help inspire. No particular project specifically inspired it, but SMWBO wanted some $300 plastic and aluminum deck table from Sears and I said to myself, I CAN DO THAT! It was also my first attempt at "getting rid of all this darn PT in the garage!"
Sketchups:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Photos:
attachment.php
attachment.php

This is made from 99% PT wood. The plugs are sliced from a SPF closet rod. The colors are just Lowes Olympic deck stains. Solid for the legs and 'Redwood' semi-transparent for the top. Everything was then covered with 2-3 coats of Minwax Spar Varnish.

It's somewhat Greene & Greene inspired, but my reach vastly exceeds my grasp at the moment. All the cross members are mortised into the side rails and there's a sad little attempt at a cloud lift in each end rail. The center rail was originally inspired by an eagle head, like you see on a totem pole, but I couldn't get the jig-saw to do my bidding so it became a simple double arch shape. Cutting the diagonal boards was an adventure but came out pretty well. The picture frame is not breadboarded, but is doweled and glued together.

The legs are each angled outwards 2* in both directions which required compound cuts to the top and bottom of each leg and the ends of each skirt piece. I'm quite proud of how that came out; the pictures don't do it justice. The slight splaying of the legs somehow gives the table strength and mass. I am also quite happy that it came out FLAT! It's quite stable and not wobbly or tippy at all. 4 legs exactly the same length.

I finished this table 10/30/2013, just in time for a Halloween party. It's been outdoors ever since. It's seen a long, hard winter and is about to go through a long, hard summer. I think it will be interesting to see how well/poorly the finish holds up. I expect to need to sand/seal it next spring.

I do have one additional finished project floating around out there, the Rocket Ship Bookcase, but I'll need to run over to my buddy's to acquire photos.

Thanks, everyone, again for all the assistance and kind words. I've finished up the Adirondack Design and will be posting that soon.

Attachments

• DSC06213sm.jpg
    DSC06213sm.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC06212sm.jpg
    DSC06212sm.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 124
  • table2sm.jpg
    table2sm.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 124
  • table1sm.jpg
    table1sm.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC06215sm.jpg
    DSC06215sm.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC06214sm.jpg
    DSC06214sm.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC06210sm.jpg
    DSC06210sm.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 126
Some very nice looking stuff. Makes me fill a little foolish working on he thing I do. Some day I may get around to building something useful.

And yes this is a great place. I feel like I know people here personally and only really met a couple face to face, via Skype. Skype is a great thing! And buy the way I am "pddesertrat" on Skype. It's fun to communicate when you can see who your are talking to. Maybe our Skype should be listed in out profiles.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, everyone. None of these projects would have been possible without this board.

Jonathan - Ha ha ha, no stepping up needed. You may notice there are no close-ups. I'm still improving my skills, so most of my projects are '5-foot pretty'. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about new lamps. Better quality materials throughout, I know many construction pitfalls now, and they'd be finished differently. SWMBO likes the current lamps, but I want to make something my woodworking peers/betters would find little fault in.

Bob - I'd be more than happy to send you the Sketchup. If you're familiar with using Sketchup, then the model is more than enough to build one.

Paul - Yes, I'm really getting into decorative, but practical things. The whole Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/Mission style(s) of furniture. For paintings/images I'm a huge fan of Art Deco and some early WPA stuff. Car race event posters from the 20's-40's.

That being said, the back of my mind has been tickling with a bombe chest and a Maloof rocker.... both are WILDLY out of both my skillset and toolset, at the moment.

Last edited:
nothing is out of your skillset,
nothing.
its only wood.
you make anything, you don't like it, just toss it and start over.
I appreciate you mentioned what deck stain you used, Im going to use some of the colors on my new chairs Ill be making soon.
the table looks great, on to the chairs.

I really like the two level deck, wish I had a yard I could fit a deck.

Last edited:
It was "Olympic MAXIMUM, Stain + Sealant In One". 6 yr protection (ha ha ha!). Semi-Transparent. Color #704, Redwood. They also have "Naturaltone Redwood" YMMV. The wood is MCA treated, not ACQ, so it was hardly green at all. I mean, you can see how yellow the new deck itself is... same wood. Everything was hand planed then sanded to 150. I did a single coat of color. Two coats was much, much darker. Then topcoated with 2 or 3 (forgot) coats of Minwax semi-gloss OIL based "Helmsman Spar Urethane"; they also make a water based, which, I'm sure you know, doesn't have the same amber tones as oil based.

My only advice is stir constantly.... the stain separates out very quickly and easily and the tint is kinda purple.

Last edited: