V Drum Sander kit...........??

Stuart Ablett

You guys seen this machine.........err.....kit?

V-Drum Sander

Now, I'm not going to say this thing will replace any large machines in a prodution shop, but for a sometime user.........:dunno:

Take a look at the video Demo, sounds fairly convincing to me.......

Anyone got one, had one, used one, seen it in person?

Cheers!

I saw one at the Houston Wood show and having seen ads for it was not very impressed. It seems to me that getting good results would require a steep learning curve and a deft touch.

stu, are you doing enough flat work to need a sander? if so do you allready own a good beltsander and a good r/o? i`ve sanded lots of doors-n-drawers with just those two pieces of equipment:eek: ....small drum sanders are very fustrating to use and one with that design would seem more fustrating to me.
if you need to "build" a drum sander then finish up your bandsaw project:eek: ......and we`ll all put our thinkin` caps on and help you design a joyfull honda/ stu sander that`ll work with minimal fustration;) .....tod

No, I'm not really in need of a drum sander, yet, but I just saw this and kind of when "Hmmm":dunno:

When I see a new way of doings the same old job, I take a long look at it, often, the reason why nearly every large surface sander, like the wide belt one you have is very similar, because through years of use, trial and error, the best design or the best use of the basic principles get worked out, and become somewhat set in place.

When something new pops along, I like to take a look, as sometimes it is someone thinking in a new direction that can change the way we do stuff.

I'm sure the two man handsaw lumber jacks all thought the idea of a chainsaw was just plain pie in the sky nuts, and I'll bet the first chainsaws were fairly lame :rolleyes:

If you know what I mean.

Some of the things the guy says in the demo make sense, at first look anyways.

I was just interested in this different way.

Cheers!

I, too, saw this at a woodworking show, maybe 4-5 years ago. Intriguing.

At the time I had a Performax that was just fine. When I moved, I sold it as I didn't think it would earn its cost of moving and the floor space in the new digs, for what I anticipated using it for. No regrets. It was a good machine.

But having a drum sander is a good idea. I have a cad file working now to build something. The v-sander inspired it. Since Stu is an accomplished tool builder, I'd love to bat ideas around with him, even share cad files!?! I can speak to the short comings of the Performax, as well as its good points. I also have a list of things I'd like to see in my new sander. I have been fooling around with linear feet per minute, dust collection, optional/removable incorporated feed system, and attached disk sander.

Stu?

Anyone got one, had one, used one, seen it in person?

Stu,
These guys are based in Southern Ontario (near Fort Erie) so it is no surprise that they are at EVERY wood show I've been at.

Frank Pellow bought the kit, but ended up not building it, and has since sold it, I think.

I've been tempted a few times, but so far I've figured that my ROSs are good enough for the work that I do. I've even got a motor sitting ready, since we replaced my furnace, and I kept the 1/3hp fan motor.

Check this thread on CWW and you'll see a positive review from a fellow in Sask. that has one, and loves it. Here is another thread, same forum. Again, a couple guys report positively about it.
Also, here is a thread from SMC, same subject, and a few guys posting very positively about it.
(Actually, just go to CWW and search on "v-Drum", and do the same at SMC)

The company seems to be doing well at the shows. They keep coming back. The price for the kit is pretty cheap. He claims that he sells these into professional cabinet shops all the time.

...art

I've seen them at the woodshows, but never stopped and gandered at them.
Just wasn't interested enough to look them over.

But they ought to work.
As long as you can get the drums parallel with the table, should work, and be a low cost sander

Thanks for the input folks!

Carol, I don't do CAD programs, I'm working at Sketch Up, but it is not going quickly.

Whatever you have for ideas, I'll certainly give you my honest opinion and try to add my two yen to what you are doing, that is for sure.

Art, I am really interested in how it works, the air under the paper and such, sure looks like a slick set up for a hobbyist, but who knows.

Certainly in my file of things to do!

Got to get this lightweight case done, then on to the Phoenix! :thumb:

Cheers!

Art, I am really interested in how it works, the air under the paper and such, sure looks like a slick set up for a hobbyist, but who knows.

Okay... searching the memory. As I remember, you set it up such that the workpiece just clears the drum when you slide it over. Then, when the drum spins, the centrifugal force lifts the paper up off the drum a bit (held on by the velcro) so that it can sand your piece. With overhead drum systems, the paper is pinched/forced against the workpiece, so yo can get burning. With this method, burning is reduced or eliminated.

Okay, that what I recall from the spiel. I can tell you that it ran very quiet, and there was very little visible dust. The paper looked very easy to change. And it sanded well. When running a raised-panel door through, the cross-grain sanding (I always forget, which is the rail and which is the stile?) produced very few visible scratches.

Art's got it described pretty well. He is also right about me selling my kit recently. I am sure that it would have done a good job, but I owned the kit for three years and never got around to building it. I am happy with the job I can do with my Festool sanders (discovered after I bought the kit) and with cabinet scrapers, so decided that the V-drum sander would be superfluous for me.

Thanks for the additional input.

One place where I'm looking at a drum sander of some kind is to sand thin pieces that I cut on the resaw, they have to be sanded flat.

I dunno if the V-sander would do this well or not...... :huh:

Cheers!

i have a dificult time seeing how a sander that`s governed by hand pressure and an "air-gap" between the paper and drum could offer any kind of consistant thicknessing.......

i have a dificult time seeing how a sander that`s governed by hand pressure and an "air-gap" between the paper and drum could offer any kind of consistant thicknessing.......

Tod, I would compare it to a hand held ROS or Belt sander, rather than to a thicknesser. Those could also, if used carelessly, could result in a non-parallel piece.

I knew a guy that had one of those and he seemed to like it alot. I have thought about getting one for sanding birdseye panels because of the difficulty of flattening that wood without pulling 'eyes' out. I think it would be handy for sanding figured woods that have squirrely grain. I think the guy I new had adjustment built into the table top so he could control the sanding pressure even more. He was sanding veneered panels if my memory serves me right........Now thats a question..........