For this past Christmas Eve dinner (party of 16) I was once again concerned about cooking an expensive rib eye roast on the grill. Previous years were always stressful in that I never had a good handle on the cooking time despite using different thermometers. Cooking times always varied from one year to the next and I was always late with the roast.
Well, I took the advice of Brent & purchased a couple of digital thermometers: the Maverick ET732 Long Range Wireless 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer & the ThermoWorks Super-Fast Mini Thermometer. After receiving them I checked both out in ice water & boiling water. Right on the money, within 0.1°F !!!
I used both (to compare each other) to grill a 12 lb Rib Eye roast for our guests. After programming the thermometers, I felt comfortable grilling this roast. In the past, I’ve had to test cut up to three times to get the roast to med-rare. The older thermometers (1 digital & 1 analog) were unreliable, even when using both at the same time.
In fact, the new thermometers actually told me a lot about my Weber Gold gas grill.
1. The Weber thermometer that came with the grill (hood mounted) to monitor the “oven” temperature read, on average, about 120 °F low! How’s that for controlling cook time?
2. The meat temperature actually increased uniformly with time.
3. However, the BBQ oven temperature fluctuated much more than expected, as much as 40°F and these changes were very sudden. I can only attribute these fluctuations to a slight breeze @ 20°F while grilling & I suspect the propane gas flow may not be as consistent which would contribute towards changing the oven temperature.
4. Having the remote thermometer to monitor the temps allowed me to adjust the gas flow so that I could “average” a 350°F temp. Unfortunately this was required frequently.
5. I removed the roast at 125°F & after resting it came up to 130°F – perfect!
6. Delicious too!
7. Confidence is a good thing!
Thanks again for the recommendation Brent!
Thoughts entering one's mind need not exit one's mouth!
As I age my memory fades .... and that's a load off my mind!
"We Live In The Land Of The Free, Only Because Of The Brave"
“The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." Winston Churchill