So Calif fire on three sides of me

There are fires on Camp Pendleton. I could get to my old office on base from my home in less than 20 min on a bad traffic day. This is North of me.
There is a fire a couple blocks from my old office in Escondido. Home to office 14 min. This is East of me.
There are fires in Carlsbad, About 12 min. away; South.
The BIG fire extinguisher (Pacific Ocean) is about 12 min. to the West.

I have been told that I should prepare to evacuate. I am ready to evacuate. However, I will be amazed if I have to.
The winds are doing all kinds of squirrly things. The poor firefighters don't know what to expect. Within the last couple hours the wind has come from ___________ (Write in any direction and you will be correct).
A few homes have been burned down to the foundation---I say that so casually. It sure as heck isn't casual to the residents of those home.
Some areas have been manditorially evacuated.
Many homes have no electricity.

I am still getting my usual breeze off of the ocean and that is good. Just got a text message. They are evacuating Mira Costa College---Less than 10 minutes from me (guess 3 miles "as the crow flies). Well there goes the west direction---It is between me and the ocean.

Enjoy,
JimB

I am fervently hoping that I have no interesting news to report.

There are fires on Camp Pendleton. I could get to my old office on base from my home in less than 20 min on a bad traffic day. This is North of me.
There is a fire a couple blocks from my old office in Escondido. Home to office 14 min. This is East of me.
There are fires in Carlsbad, About 12 min. away; South.
The BIG fire extinguisher (Pacific Ocean) is about 12 min. to the West.

I have been told that I should prepare to evacuate. I am ready to evacuate. However, I will be amazed if I have to.
The winds are doing all kinds of squirrly things. The poor firefighters don't know what to expect. Within the last couple hours the wind has come from ___________ (Write in any direction and you will be correct).
A few homes have been burned down to the foundation---I say that so casually. It sure as heck isn't casual to the residents of those home.
Some areas have been manditorially evacuated.
Many homes have no electricity.

I am still getting my usual breeze off of the ocean and that is good. Just got a text message. They are evacuating Mira Costa College---Less than 10 minutes from me (guess 3 miles "as the crow flies). Well there goes the west direction---It is between me and the ocean.

I am receiving text updates on my cell and voice updates on my land line. I have received two calls and one text message just from Mira Costa College about changes in classes, exams, meetings, etc.
It appears that our warning message systems are in order.

Enjoy,
JimB

I am fervently hoping that I have no interesting news to report.
This may be a duplicate message. I'm not sure where I was when I was interrupted.

Boy, I'd have self evacuated earlier than this just in order to not have to drive to Huntington Beach to get a Motel room.

I understand a lot of people will be looking for shelter, and a lot of the in close stuff will probably be full up.

Maybe head South to Mexico. I heard not many people live there anymore--lol.

Anyways, good luck with avoiding a catastrophy--and God Bless.

Sheesh good luck Jim! Fires like that are pretty scary stuff, so get the heck out if you need to.

And before you get there pack up the criticals (paperwork, family pictures).
Once thats done if you haven't already take the opportunity to inventory the higher value items (adds up in the shop!).

Hoping for the best!

Update on the Escondido fire: site is about 3 miles from me. It is surrounded and under control. Many, many houses in that area but I have not yet heard damage reports.

As for packing up important papers, I have that covered. I take the whole house with me if I have to evacuate.

At this moment, there are 6 separate fires burning in North San Diego county. 30 homes and an apartment building have been destroyed in one of those fires. Currently humidity is 4%; winds variable from 10 mph up and gusting to 25+.

Evacuation has to be an orderly process. It isn't just people. It is also pets from snakes to horses. All that has to have a place to go. This is not a time to panic and rush about without a plan. The best thing to do is be prepared to follow instructions and use common sense. Rushing people gum up the works when they fail to follow instructions and traffic grid lock is instant.

Schools and places of employment are currently being evacuated. They have priority on the roads, right behind emergency vehicles. Multi-family housing and mobile home parks are also problematic in evacuations.

Not to mention power outages everywhere.

Getting out of the area is also complicated by a major freeway to the north having been closed due to a roadside fire. This is also currently the commute hour and thousands of people travel that route everyday at this time.

TV is covering it non-stop and its beginning to look like Armageddon.

I sound much more calm than is the mood around here, but I have been through this before. Having had the experience is a big help with dealing with the scary part of this. The emergency services are much, much more coordinated than they were in 2003 when the fire was only 200 yards from my house. At least this time they have common radio frequencies.

Five Talents is located in an area that has been designated as a very high fire risk area. The reason is that there is lush vegetation which is beautiful but also tinder dry in this weather. I had planned as many fire proof and fire resistant building materials as possible. Double that now! Rock, metal, and cement board rather than wood and asphalt shingles.

Last edited:
Dusk brings dying winds which is good. Right now we are asked to stay off the roads unless we are directed to evacuate. All schools are closed until further notice. They can be a nightmare to evacuate which further panics parents.

Indeed, the fire season is two months away so this has the specter of a much bigger nightmare. And speculation by fire officials that some of these fires are arson.

Pardon my non-charitability, but those folks should be shot!

Jim, having had front-row seats to the Station Fire a few years ago, I can relate to some of the things you must be thinking. I hope you don't need to evacuate, but now's the time to get the car loaded and have things ready to go at the drop of a hat. Or better yet, get out early and avoid the rush. I evacuated three times during the week of our fire, and know how much time it takes to gather the "valuables" and get out.

Be safe, buddy.

Oh, and I merged your two threads into this single thread. That's why it looks like you repeated yourself with posts #1 and #3. No worries...it's all good. ;)

As for packing up important papers, I have that covered. I take the whole house with me if I have to evacuate.

Carol not to be funny but your plan only works if you can get your bus out. Should something happen such as tree blocking road or two or three vehicles having a pileup ahead of you, you aint taking the home anywhere. Have a plan B.

Stay safe all. Jim its time to pack and go and get the chance to make a mess in Glenns shop. Lol.
Opportunity knocks. Start a new trend. Instead of kids rebound to stay with parents...how about Dads move in with kids to use their toys, watch their tv and drink their beer. Dont forget not to do any dishes or clean up after. Just trying to put a funny side to a bad situation :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Being retired and not having job schedule obligations, I would have flown already to a safe place. Don't wait until you get caught in a traffic jam because everybody will leave at the same time.
( Easier said than done of course)

New day, but things are not good for many. Jim and I do not seem to be in harm's way. I can't directly speak for him but I am closely following the situation and if I can be of help to him, I'll be there in a flash.

Humidity is up to 9% and thus far winds are far less than yesterday. No new fires this morning.