Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: item 5 of 9 for the state fair

item 5 of 9 for the state fair

now that the shop is well and truly open, the projects are just flying along. this one is the fifth of nine entries for this year's state fair, my attempt at a backgammon board. a big thanks goes out to our beluved hambassader, for his selection of that good michigan chocolate. those are the beautiful boards that i purchased from him. i found that after i cut the blanks for the outer panels, i have enough left over to make the frames (which will be different than the sketchup pic as i'm not that good at miters yet), and the inner dividers. the rest of the board will be walnut, crotch figured cherry (that i got from larry earlier), and nicely figured hard maple. the cups will be made from this nice claro walnut blank that i've had sitting around for a while, and the doubling cube will be figured hard maple. the checkers are going to be cocobolo and hard maple. so far, i have cut the outer panel blanks to length and width, then cut them to bookmatch. this will keep me out of mischief for a day or two....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 fair backgammon board.jpg   002 board one.jpg   003 boards 2 and 3.jpg   004 blanks for doubling cube.jpg   005 blank for dice cups.jpg  

006 blanks for outer panels.jpg   007 blanks for outer panels cut to length.jpg   008 first bookmatched panel.jpg   009 second bookmatched panel.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

great looking and challenging project. good luck. looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Human Test Dummy

Definitely following along on this one Dan great project idea.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    cheers

I'm a watching.
    "We the People ......"

today i'm hoping to get the panels planed to finished thickness, get the rest of the parts cut, and if possible turn the cups. then i have to figure out a good way to make the checkers. i was thinking about turning a blank to size, then slicing them on the bandsaw with a jig. any other ideas are welcome.
    benedictione omnes bene

got the walnut panels planed. the cherry for the angles were sliced, planed, and cut to width and length. cut the parts for the frame and dividers. i have a few extra of the cherry parts owing to a healthy respect for error. i have changed my mind, and the checkers will be cocobolo and tulipwood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010 items ready for planing.jpg   011 cherry planed.jpg   012 walnut planed.jpg   013 boards cut to width.jpg   014 frame boards cut to length.jpg  

015 divider parts cut.jpg   016 cherry triangle parts cut.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

That's some pretty wood. Love the bookmarked walnut!
    "We the People ......"

with the finger feeling pretty good now, started back in on various projects. picked up more maple and walnut for making the rest of the parts yesterday. cut a couple of cocobolo blanks from the smallish block of the stuff for the checkers, taking the dimensions from the tulipwood blank. cut the blanks for the dice cups, cut and resawed the blanks for the center parts, cut and resawed the maple and walnut blanks for the other triangle parts. next go round is to plane the center parts and maple and walnut triangle blanks to the same thickness, and send the doubling cube blanks to be laser engraved, then set up the jig for making the triangle cuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 017 maple and walnut for more parts.jpg   018 tulipwood and cocobolo for checker.jpg   019 cocobolo blanks for checkers.jpg   020 walnut blanks for dice cups.jpg   021 walnut and maple blanks for center.jpg  

022 maple blanks for triangle parts.jpg   023 walnut blanks for triangle parts.jpg   024 maple and walnut center parts resawn.jpg   025 maple and walnut parts for triangles resawn.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

I'm watching and I'm expecting your usual excellent work.

Lots a Luck and Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER