It's Friday! - 5/16/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
TGIF! It's supposed to get up into the 80's next week here, so might try to get the pool cover off this weekend and get it cleaned up as well as the fountain. I should have some more parts coming in for my DC project to move it further along. I also may try to get the CNC up and going again as I have some linear rails and bearings I may try to retrofit it with. Other than that I'm just hanging with the grandson.

What's everyone else got going?

Actually, 'weekend' kinda started Thursday afternoon with me putting five slabs of pork spare ribs in the smoker. Sure made for some good eatin' for supper last night!

Friday: Started the day taking a walk with LOML. I'm in my shop now ready to continue with some re-arrangements of equipment and stuff.

Saturday: In the shop for a while to continue with the re-arrangements, organization, and re-purposing efforts. Then, probably a nap to prepare for watching the NASCAR All-Star race.

Sunday: The usual - brunch, then whatever else happens.

Fridays come by so often these days. used to be a week lasted for seven days. Now it seems a week is much shorter! :rofl:
Had my annual follow-up evaluation of the total knee replacement. Now I have an appointment Tuesday to have the arthritis in my fingers examined. Reached the point where I'm very limited on what I can do.
On the plus side our daughter is visiting for several days. So that adds a pleasant dimension to the week.
Today we'll be seeing the Godzilla movie. We haven't seen a monster movie since the last King Kong show, so it ought to be interesting (I hope). Suspect it may be another Godzilla Dud!:doh:
For the weekend, it'll be grilled steaks & a restaurant for dinner.

Helping with set up for my daughter's school carnival this afternoon and then attending said carnival. Tomorrow morning is a long bike ride, for me anyway, 15-20 miles if I'm up for it. Tomorrow afternoon/evening is a barn party at a friend of my BILs that will have 3 bands...should be fun. Sunday I'm determined to get my garage/shop cleaned/rearranged enough to have room to start on a bunk bed for the girl.

Mine has started off,,, not so good! I am leaving Monday for trip to the Oregon coast. Be fore packing the trailer, I decided to paint some wood blocks I made to put under the trailer jacks. Open the can of paint, mixed it good, started applying paint. Picked up the can of paint to move it and dropped it! What a mess. Lucky I decided to paint outside! Hope this isn't an omen on how the rest of the weekend is going to go!

Making a trip to the Putter Palace today to collect tools for the tractor shade build. Wanted to do it last weekend but I am learning I plan to do more that I can get done. Tomorrow depends on the smoke level in the air. May have to stay indoors for another day. So hanging loose. Cooler weather coming. Good for firefighting! My problem for a few days more will be smoke and ash. Kind of interesting. I can drive a mile north and there isn't nearly as much smoke in the air. But I seem to be in an area where it collects.

Floor was refinished this week so I need to remove a temporary platform I built.

Saturday is to install some new doors

Saturday I MIGHT be able to get a start on my Route 66 signs

Sunday my son's graduation ceremonies -- He is graduating his Masters in Finance. That's a trip to Conn for us - all day event

Darren - sure would be nice to get more details on your CNC endeavors

Playing a gig tonight at a local tavern. It's been a busy week...this will be our third show this week.

Saturday morning I'm heading a couple of hours northwest of here to go hiking and find some waterfalls with a friend. Might go see Eric McFadden Saturday night since he's in town for a rare local performance. He's an Albuquerque guitarist/singer who's made a good name for himself worldwide. I've never met him but we have lots of mutual friends.

Sunday will be a day of more guitar playing. I need to learn about 40 songs in pretty short order for another band that I'm jockeying into position to join. This band plays a bit more upbeat stuff than the band I'm in now, and their typical schedule would coincide nicely with my current band. I could play Beatles/America/Simon & Garfunkle type stuff on the weekdays and then do more rock guitar-heavy Van Halen/Def Leppard/Iron Maiden type stuff on the weekends.

:D :guitar: :headbang:

Just chilling and playing in the garden. Unloaded 8 yards of mulch yesterday and my muscles are telling me to take a day or two off. We've had a nice mix of spring weather here and as a result the garden is doing nicely.

garden 2014 016.jpggarden 2014 006.jpggarden 2014 033.jpggarden 2014 008.jpg

Working on my sons car. But this time he is lead hand and i am tech support. :) change of roles lol.

We got a long weekend up here this weekend so i hope to also fire up my jointer on my new 220v line from the stove outlet. This will be last attempt to get the thing going at this location. Given up on the generator burnt out too many start capacitors. Have a new one ready to try so hold thumps everyone.
Then i got a list of projects so long i could make a project out of prioritizing them. so rather than jinx anything will just go at it hoping weather dont get in the way. We have had lots of rain.

Victoria Day weekend, unofficial start of summer in this country. I hope to get my kayak wet at a lake nearby, if not in the Atlantic Ocean.
A couple of friends are coming over tomorrow for a half-day's barn cleaning, an annual ritual and a great help with an overwhelming job. In return they get a trailer load of nice, composted manure for their own gardens. An excellent trade in my books!
Have a nice weekend everyone. :wave:
I hope those fires get put down.

I got an order for 2 Adirondack chairs at $175.00 each. The customers having a load of people over on Memorial Day weekend and he said that I'd probably get orders for 6 or 8 more chairs from folks that are coming.:) Going to make them from black locust. I have "Norms" book with plans for his version in it so I think I'll give that one a try. I'm working on making templates now for the sides, arms and braces right now. I'll pick up the wood Monday or Tuesday.

Sunday is "Levi" Sunday at church. That's a day when folks wear work clothes and volunteer to spruce up the grounds and building . I volunteered to repair a bunch of chairs from the 1700's and 1800's that go around the perimeter of the Sanctuary. Maybe 8 or 10 of them. I'll load them on my truck and work on them during the week. They don't get used that much. Just overflow from the pews.

The wife is heading to Maine Saturday afternoon with 3 of my daughters to go to a restaurant that teaches you how to cook the dinner that you choose from their menu. Sounds like fun :rolleyes: I'll stay home and order out Chinese :thumb:

It has been so long since the garage (there hasn't been a car in there for at least 10 years so I guess I should just call it "shop) has been usable that I am going out there and do SOMETHING. Even though it will be close to 100*F out there. The "in the house" projects get nothing today. I'm going out and sweat and play.

Enjoy,
JimB

Darren - sure would be nice to get more details on your CNC endeavors
I'll post some info up if I get to it this weekend. Need to get things hooked back up and figure out just what I was doing last fall.

Just chilling and playing in the garden. Unloaded 8 yards of mulch yesterday and my muscles are telling me to take a day or two off. We've had a nice mix of spring weather here and as a result the garden is doing nicely.

Garden is looking really good Ted! :thumb:

I'm going out and sweat and play.

Stay hydrated! :wave:

Nice garden.

We've had so much rain here this past week or so that most of my yard is like a swamp. Got standing water over a lot of it. I can't do anything with the planting beds until things dry out a lot.

I have ten yards of mulch piled up on a tarp in the driveway, and several flats of bedding plants, but can't do anything with any of it until things dry out.

well i am at m oldest daughters on the east coast and had a nice visit with one of her co workers who is going to to take me to bass pro shops tomorrow:) so will have a good time with him and then we got a house warming party with some good barbucue:) later..

It's planting day. My tomatoes and other plants are really getting too big to be in the green house any longer. Our last frost day used to be June 15th, but this year, I'm pretty sure I'm safe, so everything is going in the ground tomorrow!

Already have blooms on the tomatoes, tomatillos, cukes and zukes. Here's hoping for a good gardening year, cause last year was pretty bad.

View attachment 82888View attachment 82886View attachment 82889View attachment 82887

Very nice looking Garden, Ted! I miss the garden, but had to give up. My neighbors jungle of trees has gotten so tall, my garden doesn't get any sun and nothing would grow. Oh, well, it seemed like when pick'n time came we were always gone somewhere so my niece got most of what I grew anyway. With 4 boys to feed she was happy to come out and harvest when we were gone.

Yep Beauty Job Ted!

Paul, That happened at our last house. Dang trees kept growing and reduced the sunlight we got.

Here in the desert, I'm looking for ways to add some shade! LOL