Bench Shots/Weekend doins'

Jeff Horton

The weekend is almost here. Will be here shortly for me. So post time to post the photos of Whats on your Bench and lets talk about our weekend plans!

I am like a kid a candy store! I have so many new things in the shop I can be working on. Going to have to set up a game plan and stick to it or I will get NOTHING done.

First off is the bench shot. Thats a coffee table I did for the wife and rushed into the house for a party. It's back being finished. Some touch up work and refinishing the top. Never was happy with the finish. It's only needs a couple more coats of varnish and it's ready for the house.
benchtop.jpg

Then there are these two new machines in the shop. Where do I start restoring?? Plus I have a Delta LD shaper to part out. I need to start tearing it down. Man have I got plenty to keep me busy!:D

atmikes3.jpg atmikes1.jpg
before1.jpg before2.jpg

Jeff

Nothing on the workshop agenda this week. My Shrine Club is putting on it's annual circus today and tomorrow. I'll be helping with that and, on Saturday, will take a couple hours to attend my writers group. Wife is bringing the grands here for a few days to see the circus, their first, and visit. Weather is lousy, chilly and lots of rain. I haven't made shavings in a couple weeks. Y'all are gonna excommunicate me if I don't get busy soon. :eek:

Attachments

• shriner-mascot.gif
    shriner-mascot.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 17
Finishing the wifes blanketchest rehab that belongs in the fire pit, but she loves it so.... .Only needs poly to finish it. Sand and stain a bench for a freind. The sunday help install lower cabinets in a buddy's kicthen. other then that, just laying around.:rofl:

No pictures, but the wife decided that with a heavy spring storm blowing in Sunday, replacing the front door this weekend is out. That leaves my weekend pretty much free. I have been in between projects ever since my last wooden model was completed, but a guy at work wants a new pistol display case made. I never made one before but I think I will start it this weekend...

Of course I could go snowmobiling :) We got another 7 inches of snow today and it looks like more on Sunday. So much for global warming here in Maine anyway...

Wrong_Picture-Small.jpg

Amongst working on cabinets, cleaning some bedrocks up to sell.

Building a #3 type 13 for my user set.
Working on a 140 stanley for a user. I did some horse trading with Lyle Dewalt to get this 140. All the shaving are from it.

Last edited:
My under-construction workbench supported by my Festool MFT is now slightly further along than it was in last weekend's picture.

Woodworking bench nn -with one apron and one vise installed -small.JPG

I hope to work mostly outside this weekend but, if I don't, there will be some further advances on my workbench

Paint, and more paint. (inside the shop and the eaves) Hopefully I can start building my built-in work bench next Thursday when I'm taking some time off before I lose it. Have to put up some guttering on the shop to help alleviate the standing water when it rains hard first. That's if I get the eaves painted this weekend! Jim.

Busy weekend this time around. A corner cabinet for a doctor's office (standing on it's head) waiting for finishing.
corner cab.jpg

A glue up on the base for my new DP (stealth gloat).
DP stand.jpg

The new DP patiently waiting.
DP stealth gloat.jpg

Some storage bin holders just finished real quick-like (scarey-sharp stuff in the background).
Storage bins.jpg

Parts to my new workbench top under construction and the 'soon to be replaced' baby DP.
table top and DP.jpg

Hope to make some decent headway on each knowing full well none of them will reach completion before Monday rolls around.

Last edited:
Amongst working on cabinets, cleaning some bedrocks up to sell.

Building a #3 type 13 for my user set.
Working on a 140 stanley for a user. I did some horse trading with Lyle Dewalt to get this 140. All the shaving are from it.

That's it, I have never said it on here before, but gosh darn it...you suck!! (I am just kidding of course) but I would love to have another #140. What a nice plane. I rebuilt that Stanley #140 for a guy on another forum, and man was it ever hard to ship that plane out. If I see another one I know I am going to grab it pretty quick.

Stealth Design Gloat

Hey I actually have a bench shot this weekend worth chatting about!!

A guy at work wanted a display case that hangs on the wall and yet will show off his pistol nicely. I figured for some quick cash (darn hospital bills) I would make him one. While the overall design is going to be pretty standard, I thought I would jazz up the jointery some instead of the old boring dovetails. This is what I dreamt up yesterday...

Guntails!!

Once I learned how easy Lovetails were to make a few years ago, I realized that anything is possible with this type of jointery. In this case I made sockets in the shapes of pistols and placed them out just as you would dovetails. I then copied the sockets onto the pin boards and chiseled out the pistol tails.

Its hard to visualiuze from the picture because I am not very far along in the project, but once it is hanging on the wall, you will see a row of pistols instead of the ends of dovetails. You can kind of see that effect at the bottom row of guntails as those pins and sockets are inserted, but not yet cleaned up. Granted its nothing super-strong, but I think it will make this pistol case unique in an otherwise drabby design configuration. I will post a picture of the gun case when it is done, probably in a few more weekends.

Guntails-Small.jpg

Last edited:
Guntails...what a cool idea, Travis. :thumb: You make it sound so easy, too. I'd use up 30 board feet of lumber just trying. :D

Oh I messed up yesterday. Not thinking I made the PINS first, just as I do in dovetail making. I forgot that in Lovetails you got to make the Sockets first. Luckily I only did one set before I realized my mistake. Stupid me.

To be honest with you Vaughn, they are easy to make. I think they are easier than dovetails. I would explain here, but perhaps the design sub-forum would be better??? I am always confused on that. Is that for Sketch-Up only, or other designs?

Started cutting for the library unit I'm building.

IMAG0042.jpg

Bench is getting used as a very nice outfeed table! Gotta upgrade the TS one of these days!:eek:

Travis, That is a really cool project:thumb: Please do a writeup on how you are doing it. I've never heard of Lovetails, or Guntails:huh: Looks like a real neat way to add some character to a project!

Pecan and mesquite pieces very loosely set in place vaguely looking like something I will build someday... being a someday driver myself. ;)

Guntails - Ha! I like it.
:thumb:

134LookSee.jpg

Just off the bench, and onto LOML's lathe - a lathe steady, to help stabilize the work piece while hollowing - AND, since I don't know ANYTHING about in-line skates, it took two trips to the local skating rink to purchase all the right parts for the wheels:

----- Al

Hollowingrig-lathesteady.jpg

Attachments

• Hollowing rig-lathe steady.JPG
    Hollowing rig-lathe steady.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 7
My under-construction workbench supported by my Festool MFT is now slightly further along than it was in last weekend's picture.

View attachment 7236

I hope to work mostly outside this weekend but, if I don't, there will be some further advances on my workbench
I did get a lot of work done outside (it was cold but dry) so only made a little progress on the bench. Here is an end-of weekend photo to compare with the earlier one:

Woodworking bench 26 -with both side aprons and one end cap installed small.JPG

Both side aprons and one end cap are now installed.

I finally got around & moved my fence guide tube to the left so I now have 40" to the right & 24" to the left to make cutting bevels on my right tilt Unisaw easier/safer.

I received my Bailey/Stanley #3 plane I hope to clean it up & sharpen sometime this year.

Attachments

• Bench shot 001.jpg
    Bench shot 001.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Bench shot 002.jpg
    Bench shot 002.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Bench shot 003.jpg
    Bench shot 003.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Bench shot 004.jpg
    Bench shot 004.jpg