SCORE!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Bruiser has an 8' bed but I envision hauling items much longer. So I decided I needed a lumber rack. Craigslist turned up racks from $300 to $1700. Yikes.

Then yesterday this popped up for $55.

lumber rack.jpg

MINE! Can't buy scrap metal for that. Needs some legs, a couple of crossbars, and paint. But still a heck of a deal.

Now to find a welder.

Well, the bargain will cost me $250 for welding. I wish I had the time to learn how to do that and an instructor to pilot me through. I did gas welding 30 years ago, and I bought a wire welder which went to my brother 10 years ago for helping me move. I gave it to him before I had a chance to use it. It was a Hobart Handler which barely meets his needs. Now I can't afford one!

Tried stick welding in an ROP class back then but really did not want to go there, and still don't. I found it pretty hard to do. Gas welding was much easier for me.

So I figure $50 for materials and $200 labor. $200 bucks I should invest in a mig, but....

Sounds like it was still a pretty good deal!

Side note: You can often find old bed frames that make nice welding scrap for free. One caveat is that they are mostly made from other scrap melted down and occasionally have some really hard spots in them so drilling them or cutting with non-abrasives (hacksaws) can be randomly problematic. Most of the time its pretty soft steel and no problem but then bam you've eaten a drill bit! :doh: I suspect I'd probably get along well with your new neighbor excepting when we're both looking at the same piece of scrap :D