Brought her home!

Roger Tulk

I went and got the lathe today. It weighs 179 pounds, and I should have no part in lifting something like that, but with the help of the lady who was selling it, we got it into the truck and tied it down. Most of the 179 lb. is in the headstock, so it's unwieldy to lift. My neighbour helped me take it out, which was much easier. It's on rollers, so it is easy to move on the ground.

I took the safety key from my saw, and put it in the switch on the lathe, so I was able to run it briefly before I loaded it and paid for it. The drive seems a little stiff, so I'll take the cover off and see if it needs cleaning or lubricating. I'm resisting the temptation to put a piece of wood in it right away. I want to go slow and make sure everything is copacetic before I start doing stuff. I could start turning between centres immediately, but....

Memsahib hasn't asked or realized what is under the brown tarp beside my shed, so I may have a couple of days to live. I'll post pics as I go along.

As I said in another thread, Congratulations! Turning, to me, is one of the funnest parts of wood working. I'm always looking for ways to use my lathe on each project. Get her fired up and let us have a look! First thing is make something nice for the wife, on the lathe, then tell her you got one, what can she say!:crossed:

Last edited:
Don't know how dirty your drive might be but, for me, it was not a problem. And, I used good 'ole WD-40 sparingly on the shaft. Worked for me. Remember, always turn to slowest speed whenever you shut down. ALWAYS!

Don't know how dirty your drive might be but, for me, it was not a problem. And, I used good 'ole WD-40 sparingly on the shaft. Worked for me. Remember, always turn to slowest speed whenever you shut down. ALWAYS!

Excellent advice or else you'll be like me.... I get a particularly difficult piece mounted, one that weighs half a ton, is totally out of balance and realized that the speed lever is set on 1500 rpm.... have to unmount, turn the speed down, then go through the remount process all over again. :eek: :( :doh:

Partial pic

She's shy, and doesn't want to be seen fully exposed at the moment, but here she is:

glathe08.jpg

the centres line up perfectly, and the motor runs smoothly. See another post for a possible problem with the Reeves drive. :rolleyes: