cutting boards for my brother

Dan Noren

Staff member
last fall before winter set in, my brother asked if i would make some cutting boards for his gf's daughter. she would supply the materials (2 rather large glued up slabs of hard maple). when he finally brought the maple slabs over to our dad's, winter had set in, and the shop was closed for the season. tomorrow i will be cutting the boards. she wanted 3 boards of specific sizes, with juice grooves cut into them, and i could turn my imagination loose on the rest of the slabs. i ran the numbers, and i will be able to get another 9 boards out of the leftovers. so far i have laid out 2 of the needed templates for some of the extra boards, and will make the templates for the juice grooves for the others.

Attachments

• 001 cutting board templates.jpg
    001 cutting board templates.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 76
ok, got a bit further on this one. laid out the first cut lines on the slabs, and got them cut using the scariest tool of all, the hand held circular saw. then i started cutting the blanks to size. i found that i will have to do some filling in (glue and dust) on some of them, but that's ok, they still have to go through the planer. i'd have pics of the blanks, but the day was interrupted somewhat (see other post).

Attachments

• 002 panel one.jpg
    002 panel one.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 003 panel two.jpg
    003 panel two.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 47
  • 004 panel one lined up for first cuts.jpg
    004 panel one lined up for first cuts.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 005 panel one first cuts.jpg
    005 panel one first cuts.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 006 panel two first cut.jpg
    006 panel two first cut.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 44
well, finally got to the point of working on the cutting boards again. finished up cutting the board that was interrupted (healing quite nicely, thank you), and on to the rest. one of the oval sided cutting boards didn't quite make it, and wound up in the to be burned box. so there will be her 3 boards of the sizes she wanted, 2 square boards, 3 round boards, and 3 oval sided boards, for a grand total of 11 cutting boards. now i just have to figure out how to route the groove, and if i have enough mdf to make the templates.

Attachments

• 011 oval sided boards ready for finishing.jpg
    011 oval sided boards ready for finishing.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 010 round boards ready for finishing.jpg
    010 round boards ready for finishing.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 009 square boards ready for finishing.jpg
    009 square boards ready for finishing.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 008 needed 3 boards ready for grooving.jpg
    008 needed 3 boards ready for grooving.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 007 oval side boards rough cut.jpg
    007 oval side boards rough cut.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 34
filled the gaps in the blanks (that's the trouble with using factory made reject blanks) using wood glue and sawdust and shavings. ready to be sanded and finished in the next session. i'll have to get more mdf in order to make the templates for the grooves.

Attachments

• 012 gaps filled and ready for sanding.jpg
    012 gaps filled and ready for sanding.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 36
got the first nine out of eleven sanded and oiled today. the ones with the juice groove will take a little more time to finish.

Attachments

• 013 9 of them sanded.jpg
    013 9 of them sanded.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 014 9 of them oiled.jpg
    014 9 of them oiled.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 28