Knockout bar

Roger Tulk

My used lathe came without a knockout bar, one of the parts that the family couldn't find, and probably wouldn't have recognized. (The owner was the father of the family, who is unfortunately deceased.) I asked my neighbours if anyone had a piece of steel rod about 12" long, and then went to the local Home Hardware to see if they had any. They did, and I brought home a 30" piece of 5/16 mild steel rod, and found it fit the hole andcould be used to knock the centre out of the morse taper.

Later in the day, I was putting a bag in the garbage can we keep by the barbecue, when my wife asked me to remove the wheel on the bottom of the container, as one of the wheels had disappeared some time ago. This required only yanking the wheel and its axle from the bottom. The axle was a piece of rust-free metal rod, about 18" long. I tested it in the hole on the lathe, and it fit perfectly. Took the steel rod back to Home Hardware, and marvelled at how some things just come together. Now I'll have to turn a knob for it...

I made a knock-out bar for my first big lathe, and sounds like you got the hard part done already...finding a suitable bar. :thumb: Now the fun part...making the handle. :D

I just opened up the tarp to look at the Reeves drive. I came back into the house to get my camera, and LOML stopped me to have supper. When I went back outside with the camera, I found it had started to rain, so I covered it up and ran back inside. Looks OK, but I have a couple of questions I'll ask when I get the pics.