protecting/finishing teak wood.

Tony Baideme

Hello Family.

I have a small project that I need advice on. I acquired a very nice Janus patio umbrella and the frame is made of teak. There does not appear to be any finish on it and I would like to smooth the wood down a bit and apply a protective finish on it. It can't be oil because the umbrella cover rests directly on the 6 frame arms. The pole is 1.5" diameter and about 100" long. The canopy frame is 8' in diameter.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Aloha for now. Tony

Not sure if this would do it, but perhaps worth checking out, and/or calling at 800-325-6070. States that it doesn't stain fiberglass, so perhaps it won't stain the umbrella fabric??? Also, perhaps you could spray the underside of the umbrella fabric with something like Scotchgard fabric protector???

http://www.marinestore.com/teak.html?cart=348324492494003 &
http://www.marinestore.com/teakguard2.html?cart=348324492494003#what

How is TeakGuard different from teak oil?Nearly all teak oil products turn black or gray within a month or two. When they go bad, you'll have to start the entire process over again, cleaning the teak and coating it. After this happens 3 or 4 times a season, you'll wish you had never heard of teak.
TeakGuard is not an organic product, so it won't turn black or gray like oils do. Because it lasts much longer than oil, it doesn't require constant maintenance. And best of all, it won't stain your fiberglass if you spill it.
TeakGuard brings out the color of natural, clean teak. It does not get darker as it gets older and won't build up over time.

How is TeakGuard different from varnish or other coatings?In general, any surface coating (such as varnish) will never last indefinitely. Water eventually gets underneath the coating and cannot penetrate through the wood. Since it cannot exit through the wood, it forces its way through the coating, causing cracking or peeling. Also, most coatings must be sanded to remove them (definitely a hard job!)
Since TeakGuard penetrates into the wood, it is not a surface coat and is safe for decks and walkways. You never have to strip or sand your teak to remove TeakGuard. It is also very easy to patch.