Brad Nailer

Allen Bryant

If it isn't one thing it's another. I think my Brad nailer bit the dust yesterday. Was working on a project for my church when after about a dozen or so shots with the brad nailer, there was a pop and then steady stream of air coming out of the exhaust port. I took it apart as best I could and didn't see anything obvious, after putting it back together still air out the exhaust. I think I paid about $50 for the nailer, probably 15 years ago, not sure if it's worth trying to fix.

Any suggestions on a good one to replace it with?

Could be the cylinder is stuck open. A repair kit has "O" rings and repair parts to make it run like new. Give it a few drops of air tool oil before and after use each day.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Have you been using oil EVERY time you use it - or daily?

They NEED it.

I work in Providence and the Bostich nailers are made a few towns over. Where I work, the Engineering Manager, My boss WAS engineering manager at Bostich. We also have a few engineers and machining people. THEY were making the ONLY oil less nailers I am aware of.

You said you paid $50 for it - so I am guessing it is not Bostich.

I have Porter Cable and oil them every time I use them. They work fine for what I do.

They NEED it. ...

Up to a point, that's true. Getting too much oil in a tool like a nailer can cause finish problems down the road. I give mine a couple of drops of air tool oil occasionally, then fire a few brads into a piece of junk wood.

There's not much to those guns, so a repair kit should take care of it, but always good to have a spare. Last time my framing nailer started doing that I couldn't see much difference between the bad o-rings and the new ones, but didn't take much wear to cause a leak.

They NEED it.

The brad nailer is not a heavy use item in the shop, but after ruining a $300 framing nailer by not oiling it, I've learned that lesson. I put a drop in when I start and fire a few nails into some junk wood, then another when I'm done. I'm very careful to make sure the cap is on the quick release outlet when not plugged into an airline, and it stays in the case when not in use.

As for the leak, it's not leaking it's full blow shooting out air as if I had a nothing on the end of the air hose.

Don't Defeat The Safety

We use air tools that shoot things, like nails and staples. These can be lethal weapons, or to be more graphic like a shot in the eye, or maybe in a more private place.

There is an impulse to lock up the safety nose on the tip of the gun. I'll admit I've done it, and learned my lesson the hard way. For those that don't know about this mechanism, it moves upward to allow the tool to fire when the tip is pressed down (where you want the fastener to go). If you lock it up, the gun will fire by just pulling the trigger.

I've got several different types (and brands) of guns, and some are harder than others to depress to fire. Since I could be using a gun for long periods on a daily basis, that extra effort can be tiring. Holding parts to be fastened can be much easier without having to push the tip into the work. BUT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CHANGING IT.

I stopped that practice after shooting myself several times (yep...that's right). Of course, none of the times were fatal, and I have both eyes. So, I attribute that to dumb luck. Believe me, it's very easy to accidentally fire off a round or three, just by picking up the gun and touching the trigger, or in just handling. Always wear safety glasses when using air tools.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

yeah I have a few "bullet wounds" myself. Funny though they weren't from defeating the safety. I do have an old pre safeties stapler that I got lazy one time in a hurry and loaded it while still hooked up to the air supply. it loaded from the bottom so naturally the business end was pointed up and sure enough I bumped the trigger. good thing I was wearing safety glasses because the staple bounced off right in front of my eye. lesson learned that day.

As far as the blow out, as Mike said, look up your model number and see if the rebuild kit is still available. theyre pretty inexpensive and easy to install.
regarding a new brad nailer, ive had good luck with senco.