And Another Question

Paul Douglass

I have a set or Forstner bit and some are so dull now that they are not usable. I've tried sharpening with a fine file but very little success. My thought is to replace the ones that are real dull individually instead of buying a new set. What are good ones? They vary a lot in price, but, my experience that just because some cost more, doesn't, make them a whole lot better. Any recommendations?

Paul,
Take a look at the Lee Valley HSS forstners. They're very good quality, and quite reasonable priced. I have them in 1/16" increments from ¼" up thru 2¼" and have never had a problem with one.

They also have (cheaper) carbon steel ones, but I've never used them.

Right now I am have a little problem with Lee Valley. I ordered some hinges and magnets from them over a week ago. They withdrew the money but I have not had a word from them. I ordered things from two other places the same day. I immediately received an email confirmation of the orders and next business day I received an update of my orders statuses and tracking numbers for the other items. I have also received my other orders. I would think Lee Valley would do better. I'll check out their bits, but....

Right now I am have a little problem with Lee Valley...

Call them. They'll go out of their way to make it right!

They're a great company to deal with. I had a minor problem with them - about fifteen years ago - and Rob Lee himself responded via email almost immediately to make it right.

If price is no object, check out FAMAG BORMAX bits. They are really nice. I bought a set in the sizes needed for pepper mills and have used the heck out of them in end grain and they are still cutting well.

Call them. They'll go out of their way to make it right!

They're a great company to deal with. I had a minor problem with them - about fifteen years ago - and Rob Lee himself responded via email almost immediately to make it right.

If they are not waiting for me when I get back after labor day I will have to call them. What I ordered should fit in an envelop, which is easier to lose, than a box of something. I would have liked to have been able to track it.

I used some high carbon bits for years by frequently sharpening them. Like anything, once you become proficient it is pretty quick to do. The LOML bought me a set of Lee Valley HSS bits and I have not had to sharpen Forstners since so far. I also have some specific sizes in Freud's from years back that have yet to need a touch up. I keep the high carbon bits for rough or questionable work and they still work fine if sharpened. I pretty much use the method shown here with the exception of using a cone shaped stone (for a Dremel) instead of the 1/4" round file as it covers a wider range of bits for me.

Last edited: