I have wanted to try my hand at one of these for a while. Had some time between projects so gave it a go.

P1010709.JPG

Made from MDF, hardboard, t-track, a few pocket screws, two thumb knobs. The first set of fingers are all 1/2". So, I gave it a try.

P1010716.JPG P1010713.JPG P1010715.JPG

Fingers went together with some light mallet taps. A little chip out on one edge, my fault. Forgot to score the edge and pushed the router to hard. Overall, quite pleased for the first try. So, I switched up the fingers ..

P1010726.JPG P1010724.JPG P1010725.JPG

Again, went together with some light mallet taps. Good clean cuts. Now, I will make some 5/8", 3/4", 7/8" and 1" fingers. This will give me lots of versatility for the upcoming bedroom set project ... looking to use some Greene and Green style.

Thanks for looking.

Oh, now that is cool and soooo simple, having a duh moment, why couldn't I have thought of that.

Now in that second to last pic, it looks like the end finger may be out of square, but I guess you could had a wider backer block with two screws to stabilize/square it. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice work! To make good box joints, one must know how to make wood square, and that you have proven you can do. Bravo. I'm presently immersed in the "land of box joints" myself. Still have some work to do.

A great idea. Joints look nice and this seems like the answer for those larger pieces that would be difficult to do on a table saw because they were too tall.