just going to mention AGAIN why safety glasses are so important, all the time.

allen levine

even while you are cleaning up tools and mess.

Im having a rough time out in the shop the past few weeks.
very discouraging, mistake after mistake, error, redo, error. Not sure why, but I think my focus is off a bit, (my wife is having a few health issues, and shes never ill, bothers me more than my own issues)

finished my upstairs builtins in april, did a bunch of turning, and last week started a computer printer stand.
nothing fancy, pretty simple. Just going to stain the cherry face frame same as the builtins I put in office.

so Im not sure why Im messin up so much. wont go into it, I didn't rip it apart and start over, just trying to correct everything best I can.

why am I mentioning this in a safety post? Ill tell ya, because lack of focus from both projects, personal issues, it all weighs on you and never let your guard down while working in the shop.

My design was a bit off, as I didn't take into consideration the cabinet is on small castors, and I wanted to see if I could use short 5/8 screws to secure the castors and make sure it would be strong enough into the plywood base of cab.
testing on a scrap piece, I was ok with it, and threw the scrap ply into scrap pile, not really paying attention to anything, grabbed the drill, with a tapered hard steel dewalt bit in it, moved fast, and while going to put the drill into the middle draw where I store it, going down with the drill, I caught the end of the bit on the edge of the work bench, and it cracked with such a force it shot directly to my right eyeball. It hit hard, really hard, like it was shot out of something. Without my safety glasses on even though I was just cleaning up, I would have had some really bad damage, a tapered bit shooting into my eye.

cant ever think freeky stupid things don't happen.
Ive leaned over once a while back and had the broom stick handle poke me in the glasses.

keep your safety glasses on all the time out there.

IM going back out there now to make some more mistakes.

Last edited:
Its easy to forget that drills can be kinda dangerous to!

When I was a kid I was drilling some plate steel and was kneeling over the piece being drilled (as I recall it was fairly thick stuff like 1/2" or 3/4" - would have been better to have used one of those portable magnetic clamp drill press thingies - if we'd had or could have afforded such a thing). The bit snapped and the lateral force threw the broken bit over and through my jeans and into my lower thigh. Didn't go in very deep and I don't think I even have a scar anymore but wa a bit shaken about the whole thing.

Its easy to forget that drills can be kinda dangerous to!

When I was a kid I was drilling some plate steel and was kneeling over the piece being drilled (as I recall it was fairly thick stuff like 1/2" or 3/4" - would have been better to have used one of those portable magnetic clamp drill press thingies - if we'd had or could have afforded such a thing). The bit snapped and the lateral force threw the broken bit over and through my jeans and into my lower thigh. Didn't go in very deep and I don't think I even have a scar anymore but wa a bit shaken about the whole thing.

Better lower thigh than upper! You would've really been shaken up then. :eek:

If I even think, "Should I put on my safety glasses?" I stop that instant and go put them on. Since they are prescription safety glasses, they just stay on until I leave the shop---sometimes even longer than that.

My problem seems to be that I wear my regular glasses doing simple things until the question comes up, "Should I put on my safety glasses (ear plugs, dust mask, whatever)? During that interval I am not wearing that protection.
I seem to be messed up with my Bournelli Interval timing. (I hope I spelled that correctly) Either Bournelli Interval is not in my dictionaries or my attempt at spelling it is so far off that I cannot find it. Basically it is the interval between when you first have a problem and when you think you have enough information to act on that problem.

It's the interval between when I have a problem (enter the shop) and the time I have enough data (hey Bradley, you are in the shop) and go get my safety glasses.

Be Safe so you can
Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
Well I was close. However, looking in a dictionary under Bournelli instead of Bernoulli does NOT let you find the word. Here's the word.

Bernoulli Interval is a pause during which we ask ourselves, "Do I really have enough data to draw a valid conclusion?"

"If guesses of increasing accuracy could be made on an ever decreasing statistical sample the Bernoulli Interval would be zero."

Now I want you to use that in at least five different conversations tomorrow so you will have it set in your mind.

Enjoy,
JimB

When Carol asked what are the top three things I wanted to get out of her book. I said "Safety, Safety, Safety", then I mentioned four and five. I think the more you get used to anything, the easier it is to take them for granted and become a little lax. I did say all the posts over the years from family members was the reason. Thanks for the reminder, Allen.