Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truck opinions

Truck opinions

what are your thoughts on a 2002 Ford f250 super duty 4x4 , 5.4 litre automatic transmission CLEAN with 103k miles on it with a cover, Indiana truck no rust! any one out there familiar with one good or bad.. 373 rear end.. my old truck is dying, and getting very rusty, transmission needs replaced and it has 220k miles on it.. been a good ole truck and i got 20 yrs out of it, so it doesnt owe me anything..but it doesnt seem worth the cost of gambling on it making another 100K miles with a fresh tranny its not a good batch of odds
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The one mentioned should be a good truck, at 103k it's just getting warmed up. I've got the 5.4 in my Expedition and it's got some power at 190k still. Might see if the plugs have been changed on it or if they are original. will cost about $500-$700 to have it done. The aluminum heads/recessed plugs make it a pain to change them, so worth the cost to pay someone.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

It sounds good Larry, if the price matches the age and condition. We've had more Ford pickups than I can count and no issues. Our current 350 (discussed here recently) is a problem child, due to abuse, but the signs were there when we got it and should've paid attention. I'm too stubborn to give up on it though and now I'm the principal driver.
    Is it four door? I wouldn't have a single cab truck again, but that's a personal preference. Ours has a 6 1/2 foot box, which isn't much of a problem because we have lots of options for hauling bigger stuff.

my neighbor across the street from me, the contractor, purchased a 250 superduty last year and told me he loves the truck.
    He put a contractors type cap on the back, with the lift up locking panels and a ladder rack, he does a lot of hauling as he has a trailer hooked up to the back with all the tools.
    Ive had my 150 for a bit over 5 years now, haven't had a single issue with it, although I only have 25000 miles.
    there are lemmons) but ford makes the best pickups.
    (when I went to purchase mine, I went to my wifes previous employer, a Nissan dealer, and he told me to buy the 150, not his truck)
    Human Test Dummy

+1 for The Ford, I've had several and wouldn't want anything else.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Good trucks, had one. Those 3:73 gears will drink a little more than normal fuel, but if the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid to get one. I would say it has another 150,000 left in it.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you dont know what tool to buy next, then you probably dont need it yet.

"03 was the last year of the old body style...had an '03 for 9 years. Frame flex was the big issue, but never once did that truck hit the shop for other than regular maintenance. Then "Crash" and here comes the '10. Light years difference between the two. Corning and high speed turning stability, general handling, engine performance, features...leaps and bounds about the old one. But the old one never let me down!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

well they want 13k for it.. it has had 2 new brake calipers and a vacum hose to the frnt wheels for the 4x4part i believe.. they are saying 12mpg and 14 on highway?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Have you gone to Kelly Blue Book to see the values? Might be worth checking the numbers to see if they are high, low or right on

The 99' I had came with 4:10 gears, 13 mpg up hill or down, pulling a trailer or not. Mine had a stick shift. Perfect farm truck it was
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you dont know what tool to buy next, then you probably dont need it yet.