Truck opinions

larry merlau

what are your thoughts on a 2002 Ford f250 super duty 4x4 , 5.4 litre automatic transmission CLEAN with 103k miles on it with a cover, Indiana truck no rust! any one out there familiar with one good or bad.. 373 rear end.. my old truck is dying, and getting very rusty, transmission needs replaced and it has 220k miles on it.. been a good ole truck and i got 20 yrs out of it, so it doesnt owe me anything..but it doesnt seem worth the cost of gambling on it making another 100K miles with a fresh tranny its not a good batch of odds:)

The one mentioned should be a good truck, at 103k it's just getting warmed up. I've got the 5.4 in my Expedition and it's got some power at 190k still. Might see if the plugs have been changed on it or if they are original. will cost about $500-$700 to have it done. The aluminum heads/recessed plugs make it a pain to change them, so worth the cost to pay someone.

It sounds good Larry, if the price matches the age and condition. We've had more Ford pickups than I can count and no issues. Our current 350 (discussed here recently) is a problem child, due to abuse, but the signs were there when we got it and should've paid attention. I'm too stubborn to give up on it though and now I'm the principal driver.
Is it four door? I wouldn't have a single cab truck again, but that's a personal preference. Ours has a 6 1/2 foot box, which isn't much of a problem because we have lots of options for hauling bigger stuff.

my neighbor across the street from me, the contractor, purchased a 250 superduty last year and told me he loves the truck.
He put a contractors type cap on the back, with the lift up locking panels and a ladder rack, he does a lot of hauling as he has a trailer hooked up to the back with all the tools.
Ive had my 150 for a bit over 5 years now, haven't had a single issue with it, although I only have 25000 miles.
there are lemmons) but ford makes the best pickups.
(when I went to purchase mine, I went to my wifes previous employer, a Nissan dealer, and he told me to buy the 150, not his truck)

Good trucks, had one. Those 3:73 gears will drink a little more than normal fuel, but if the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid to get one. I would say it has another 150,000 left in it.

"03 was the last year of the old body style...had an '03 for 9 years. Frame flex was the big issue, but never once did that truck hit the shop for other than regular maintenance. Then "Crash" and here comes the '10. Light years difference between the two. Corning and high speed turning stability, general handling, engine performance, features...leaps and bounds about the old one. But the old one never let me down!!

well they want 13k for it.. it has had 2 new brake calipers and a vacum hose to the frnt wheels for the 4x4part i believe.. they are saying 12mpg and 14 on highway?

Not one of the 'big boys,' I traded my 17 year old Toyota for a 2010 Ford Ranger XLT 4.2 Liter 4x4, 5 speed stick, about six months ago. Really like it. It's got a lot of features that weren't available on the old truck. Drives almost like a mid-sized sedan.

My first Ford, ever. I might just be a 'convert' now.

The 99' I had came with 4:10 gears, 13 mpg up hill or down, pulling a trailer or not. Mine had a stick shift. Perfect farm truck it was

The 3.73 is actually a higher gearing. Probably a better 'road truck' (lower engine rpms for any given speed) but towing power might be reduced a bit. Gas mileage might be a little bit better, too.

With the road trips you have been know to take an 11 MPG truck seems to be just wrong. :doh: Something that gets 14 or 16 could save you a few hundred on just one fishing trip.:thumb:

Ouch! That mileage is a killer. Bruiser (2002 F250 Super Duty) is a diesel and gets 22 mpg without a load. Did hear 4x4's are hard on mileage though.

I agree with the others who are saying that mileage seems pretty poor.

I was born and raised a Ford truck guy, but the nicest-driving pickup I've ever driven was a Toyota Tundra. I put a lot of miles on one over the 10 months I was installing artwork, and it left a very positive impression on me.

i have 2004 F150 I bought a couple of years ago for 5k with a bad transmission. Had a Jasper rebuilt installed for 3200. Its a extended cab full 8 foot bed and takes 2 stabs at most parking slots. I got my plugs changed for 350 at an independent. I did the sea foam trick a couple of times before I took it in and they got them all out with no separation. They looked original and I suspect they were. The 5.4 has a reputation for bad coils and there is a coil for every plug. The exhaust manifold are a problem area as well especially in rust prone places. I had to have them done and that killed another 1000.
mileage is 16-18 on the road but falls off bad with my trailer(RV). I have also replaced struts and emergency brakes. Another 1000.. Drives nice and i like it but I spent way less on my 94 with 240k. No advice as i would probably get this one again as I could have paid 14k and still had to do all of this.

well the mileage has killed this deal along with price tag,, so i am still looking, found a 98 chevy cab & 1/2 with 350 and auto trans and only 91k on the motor in really clean condition for 6500 which is the price of a new motor and tranny in a old 94 truck. gonna have someone take a look at it

Good luck. I just sold my 2000 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 XLT package w/tow and 5 speed 5.4 liter engine. It had the 3.73 gearing and got 11-14 mph in summer and 10 in winter. Just a little over 103,000 on it. Was in decent shape except for needing a new tailgate and tires. I got 46K for it trade in and they sold it for $8K w/in a month. The Alaska decals on the sides obviously jacked the price up. Great truck did what I asked, never met anything it couldn't tow or make it thru, but he mileage at this day and ages gas prices was a KILLER! Newer Obama Motors 1500's get over 20 mpg on the highway. F150's are similar. Toyotas are the luxuary truck. Dodges still look good parked.