Father/son project gloat....

John Pollman

Hi there!

I was just looking through my photo gallery on another site that I'm a member of and saw some pics of a project my son and I finished a not too long ago. Most of you here have probably already seen the pics and heard the story but for those of you that haven't I thought I'd post them here.

Back in April my ten year old son started taking guitar lessons and has enjoyed it immensely and is really getting into it big time. We've already upgraded his starter guitar and a while ago he kept on saying that he wanted to BUILD a guitar with me. You see, Brian May of Queen is his absolute idol and he built one with his father and my son really wanted to give it a try. I explained to him that I'd never built a guitar and that it's pretty difficult but maybe sometime down the road we could tackle it. I then figured that maybe I could build the body and buy a premade neck and headstock. That's probably what we'll try for our first "homemade" guitar. But in the meantime I found a kit online that had all of the wooden parts cut except for the headstock. My son designed the color scheme and layout and we worked together on the computer finalizing the design. I then used my vinyl cutter to cut a stencil to get the design on to the body. We worked together on it and he even did some of the paint work. I think it came out looking pretty good for a first attempt. Here's what he/we came up with....

tele1.jpg

tele3.jpg

tele2.jpg

If and when I get to building an actual body and putting one together I'll post it here.

John

Last edited:
That's great John....how does your son like it as far as playing on it?

I've got to tell you that it sounds better than I thought it would for an inexpensive kit. He really likes playing it though. A couple of weeks ago he said that he was having a hard time keeping it in tune. I pretty much knew that was because of the cheap tuners they put in the kit. I went out and bought a set of genuine Fender Telecaster tuning machines and installed them. Problem solved!

I was in a guitar store last week and saw a beautiful Fender Strat with an Ash body. It just had a clear finish on it and it was gorgeous. I think I know what I want to do with some of the EAB affected Ash on my property. ;)

Thanks guys.

John

john, it`s cool that you`re able to build stuff with your son! mine is 2 now and has all the desire to help.....but it wears me out helpin` him help:) ..tod

john, it`s cool that you`re able to build stuff with your son! mine is 2 now and has all the desire to help.....but it wears me out helpin` him help:) ..tod

tod, I'm sure you know this but I can't help saying it anyway....enjoy those times, before you know it they are grown and on their own. My favorite memories of my sons at that age were that they always wanted to come out and ride on the tractor with daddy.....about once down the field and they were asleep. Made it tough to operate the controls and cradle the young un in your other arm....but I wouldn't trade it for nothing. And I have this picture to remind me.

Attachments

• img064.jpg
    img064.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4