New job

For the record, I really don't expect to stay for ever. Can pick up a lot of good experience, and of course coin. Plan is try to make it until Gator is done with college. I really don't want to send her off into the world with a mountain of debt.

Bigtime congrats, Steve. :thumb: Enjoy the new place and the extra bucks. I can imagine there are a lot of advantages to not working for the prison system.

As a manufacturing engineer I get to visit a LOT of vendors. When I was working at Winchester I visited Rhode Island Forge. That is where the model 70 receiver was forged.

In the winter - all the windows and doors would be WIDE open.

We asked - What sort of person do they look for when hiring. Anybody they said. They would train anybody.

The test was really simply.

They hired someone - yes - high wages.

Out of 40 applicants - one would stay past the first day's lunch break - but they would stay 40 years.

----

Steve - There is NOTHING wrong with a career change - far too many people "don't" do it.

I have heard it said - many people will have 3 distinct careers in their working lifetime.

Congrats on your choice

When talking to the some of the other sparkys, they keep a list. In the last 12 years they have been through 160 plus electricians. Some left for other jobs, some just quit period. Not for everybody, I did work in an aluminum foundry back in the early 2000's so I have an idea of what to expect, at least.

well steve from knowing you this long, your one of the ones that would make the grade there, i have got 10 yrs in a foundry and know what it takes,, and its better for you that the conditions you were in before.. benefits may not be as good in the beginning but the mind set is better..congrats

Steve,

I am rooting for you. I hope this job really works out for you.

I was down on the floor at Kaiser steel for 30 minutes (that is a time guess after more than 50 years) so I have a microscopic idea of what it is like. It sure isn't for sissies. On the other hand the men down there had a very strong comradery.

Enjoy,
JimB