20" disc sander

Wowza! Makes my little 10" shopmade disk sander look silly! What rpm does the motor turn? Got any idea what the rim speed is? Careful of the fingers. You could get a really awful manicure with that thing!

Thanks, I decided sometime back that if I was going to all the work of making tools I should make them look decent. The first thing I built was an 80" edge belt sander, it works fine but looks terrible.
The disc sander has a 1725 rpm 1 HP motor, I was worried that it might not be big enough but I checked the amperage and its fine unless I am really abusing it. If theres decent paper in I see no instance where the motor would be overloaded. I made this from scrap, the only things I bought for it were the sanding disc and the aluminum for the backing disc. The rim speed is 106MPH if I remember my calculations correctly, so yes you could give speedy manicures if not careful.

I am impressed and JEALOUS.

My dad had an 8 1/2" home made disk sander that I used a lot. I used it mainly to erase my mistakes---You know, to sand the end of the board down a bit to make it really the right length and square.
I was really happy when I stepped up to a 12" sander. However, a 20" must be pretty much like a trip to Heaven. WOW!!!

Enjoy (and think of me when you use it),
Jim B