Sounds very suspect to me, but???

Al Launier

I just received an email "supposedly" from eBay requesting a password "reset" to protect one's "financial" information. It's Domain name was not @ebay.com. As I recall it was @reply(1)ebay.com, or similar. Sounds very suspect to me. I deleted the email. Has anyone else received this email & what are your thoughts?

I did.

At first I was overly suspicious thinking that if a hacker could breach a web site like eBay, then they could possibly monitor PW changes as well.

Last edited:
You did the right thing in checking Al. I received a Bank of America email that looked and behaved so real it was quite impressive. Called BofA to check (as I always do on such things) and it was bogus. Unlike unsolicited snail-mail that arrives in your home mailbox, unsolicited email can be downright dangerous. To me, all unsolicited material is suspect. That sounded paranoid which is not my position. I just like everyone to well informed and use caution ;-)

Might be my imagination - but - I think there was something big happening at EBAY recently.

It MAY be a good idea to go to EBAY and change your password.

It will not hurt you to change your password - but - it MAY hurt you if you do NOT change it.

DO NOT do anything via an email link -- GO DIRECTLY - to EBAY.

This is indeed a legitimate warning from eBay. And legit or not, it's a good idea to change passwords on a periodic basis anyway.

...DO NOT do anything via an email link -- GO DIRECTLY - to EBAY.

This is the key to avoiding 99.9% of the malicious stuff out there on the Web. Don't click the link in any email like this. Always go to the site directly yourself. :thumb:

Leo is right, goto ebay directly. A lot of spammers will be sending out emails with bad links to take advantage of the panic,so again, go to ebay.com directly. It wasn't mentioned, but might be a good idea to change your password challenge question too as I doubt ebay really knows just what else could have been taken.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

They have suggested we change our passwords, but I think the email you received was part of a phishing scam. I would have deleted it, too. Go the normal route to change your password. Good spotting on the domain name!