we should make a bunch of these to sell.

I did some searching, but I can't find any plans for making one. Sorry, it's outa my league. I'll have to leave this one for you pros. :(

Sorry, but all I can think of is --- Why Not?

I KNOW - there are lots of people in Fairfield County Conn. that WOULD BUY that stuff. REALLY - they WOULD.

I go into some of those homes and that stuff really looks AWESOME hanging on the wall.

So it does not need to be coconut wood - ANY end grain wood would look cool. Trick is - not all 1" thick. The blocks would need to be varied in thickness by - say - 1/4 inch.

I would hedge by bet and put the 24x24 piece at - errr - $250.

I might go so far as to make a nice mitered bull nose black border at 1-1/2 thick.

My BET - at a arts festival - in Fairfield County Conn - I could sell at least 4.

I love the Idea - thank you for posting!!!!

Sorry - I don't see things like other people do. My bad.

If it sold for $24.95 the value would be diminished too much and it would be too common.

Those people will NOT buy the Wally World stuff to hang on their walls.

Noooo - the price is right - - for the target market.

It's all about the "textures". That is what I hear - they want the "textures".

By the way - the ends look to be sandblasted - not just cut. Again - more textures.

If it sold for $24.95 the value would be diminished too much and it would be too common.

Those people will NOT buy the Wally World stuff to hang on their walls.

Noooo - the price is right - - for the target market...

Yeah, but is J.C. Penney's the right vendor? I could see that from Bloomingdales, or Nordstrom, or Sax - but not Penney's.

A true art gallery would probably get upwards of a thousand for it.

why anyone would poke fun at the craftsman who made this is beyond me.
first, Ive seen art hanging in musuems that looked like stuff I did on my bedroom wall when I was 5 with fingerpaint, and I got punished for it, the art in the museum worth zillions.

second, this craftsman is a marketing genius.
He has managed to get one of the largest retail chains to promote his product online for sure, I don't know about the retail outlets.
if anything, we should be taking lessons from this person.
Hes not sitting in a street fair hawking cutting boards trying to make back his booth fee.

Considering the off shore places where this might be made (Imported) & the material it's made of(Pressed wood/coconut wood) the person making it is probably getting $1-$2 an hour & the middle man & end retailer are getting their bank accounts filled.
I wasn't making fun of the craftsman but the price is just out there. Just think if you could make 1 a day & sell 5 a month at the original list price of $600 that's $3000 before taxes @ $359 it's $1795 & I still think it's a pipe dream for the craftsman.

Last edited:
As long as we will make only the things we would buy, we will make more money flipping hamburgers at Mickey D's. There is a market for every product. Products that fail simple have not found their market. That is not the product's fault. That is the fault of the marketer.

And as long as we only make and fail to market, the sooner we will need to flip hamburgers to put beans on our own tables.

Perhaps Penny's is not the right venue. Unless people in Leo's neighborhood shop there. :) This is a perception problem. Someone at Penny's thinks their customers would be interested. But if the maker/marketer is doing their job well, they would define and research their ideal customer and then market their product in places their ideal customer shops.

All successful businesses have to follow that simple plan.

As for the guy making a pittance for making this product, he has to eat too. As for the marketer getting the lion's share of the profit, he/she makes his/her living by being creative in finding markets and persuading venue's to carry and distribute the product. That is a profession also. If we insist on considering them leeches, we will never successfully bring a product to market. If the maker wants to make more money, the maker will have to take on marketing his product as well. This is why large production companies have marketing departments. But size has nothing to do with it. All manufacturers need to market.

Last edited:
I'm with Leo and Carol on this one.

You are not your customer. Took me a long time to figure that one out.

Marketing is hard and often expensive. Ditto (doing some sales was enlightening.. the commission checks were nice :D)

Not sure on the Penny's part, I know they've been struggling to define their market segment for a long time now.

that's another point.

weekend warrior woodworkers can sit and look at that and say, psst! I can do that in 2 hours with my scraps....big deal!

meanwhile, HE DID, and he has a wesite marketing it for him. Everyone makes money.

btw jc penny has a very wide reach of customers from all walks of life.

PLEASE - just let me set the record straight

Leo - does NOT - NOT - live in Fairfield county Conn.

Leo - gets to VISIT - there.

I am NOT - of that caliber --- nor will I ever be

I also owned a Mr. Handyman franchise business for a few years.
That is NOT a Leo in a van doing handyman sort of business.
( www.mrhandyman.com )
That franchise teaches and encourages you to seek and learn how to cater to that crowd.

I got work in house in the 2-3 million dollar range with the franchise business so I got the see how they decorate their houses and I got to talk to some of the people. Part of doing business is socializing with the customer. Many handyman sort of guys don't socialize - they just do the work and scoot. Building business is a social event.

In Fairfield County Ct, - my son lives there and his inlaws are business owners that do well. His inlaws are VERY frugal people and would never even think about buying the wall art - they would say - a sucker every minute. However - not all the people they associate with think that way. When I visit my son we often times go on socials in the neighborhoods they live in and get to see other peoples houses and talk about the very things they do to decorate. My daughter in law grew up there and I talk to her and to her parents about these things.

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the wall art would not sell for $600 in Fairfield County Ct. I am just itching for the day I can go there and get into an arts festival to sell some stuff.

Sooo - Though I am NOT a 1%'r --- not by any imagination -- I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to people in the $250k to $500k income bracket. I've been in their homes and talked to them. Most are NOT snobby or dumb. They live within their earnings and that just happens to allow them to have thing that people like me just cannot afford. I have met some REALLY nice high income people.

I am a VERY VERY VERY perceptive and inquisitive person and not at all afraid to ask questions about why someone would hang such a thing on the wall.

I just do not see the way most people see. Perhaps it is a fault of mine.

EVERYWHERE I go and everything I do - I see as opportunity - how can I get there?

HOW and where can I get to the point where I can sell wall art - signs - cabinets - anything that I can make a buck on.

Problem is ---- I have not made it there yet.

BUT - I keep trying - I will try till the day I die.

----

Winners never quit - quitters never win

----