One day trellis

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Jan wanted a trellis for the climbing hydrangea she purchased to help soften a large blank exterior wall. (See how this works? She buys the plant and then says, "we really need something for this to climb on".) the planning took a few hours - several revisions. The build was simple though repetitive. Made from redwood, I ripped down everything from a few 2 x 8's. The 2 x 4's were really ratty looking. It seems the larger boards run clearer.

Everything is assembled with exterior quality pocket screws. Enjoy.

Conception
2e5enydu.jpg

Finishing
aqy2e3y8.jpg

Finals
8equ5usy.jpg
4abe6a4e.jpg

Nice work Rennie! I really like the design - it looks great! By coincidence, did the design of the bench "influence" the design of the trellis? ;) :thumb:

The trellis looks great - but will that hydrangea really climb it? My lace-cap hydrangeas are more like a bush. They grow probably six feet per year, and spread more or less evenly in all directions.

Right now, they're about eight feet high, and probably about the same in diameter, and they're loaded with blooms. Year before last, I pruned them completely down to about two feet high, so they didn't bloom in 2013, but they're sure making up for it now.

The trellis looks great - but will that hydrangea really climb it? My lace-cap hydrangeas are more like a bush. They grow probably six feet per year, and spread more or less evenly in all directions.

Right now, they're about eight feet high, and probably about the same in diameter, and they're loaded with blooms. Year before last, I pruned them completely down to about two feet high, so they didn't bloom in 2013, but they're sure making up for it now.

Hi Jim. We have three different types of hydrangea in our beds. The other two are both a bush type of plant. However, the climbing hydrangea is something very different. A quick search on Google will show you some pictures of hydrangeas that climb 30 to 40 foot high. Ours will never be allowed to get that big!

Those are all just screwed together butt joints? They came out pretty tight if so!

Said it before but bears repeating: I like the theme you have going there :thumb:

Yes, makes construction very easy. All I needed was my Kreg jig and clampdown table and a few spacers. The whole thing went together in about 90 minutes.

Man I need to quit overthinking things! I'd have done that all half laps and M&T joints and it would have taken me a week :rolleyes: 90 minutes.. wow! :thumb:

Dont worry you not alone Ryan.

Rennie where did you hide the screws. :huh::eek::( i have tried to find just one in that pic of Jan painting it and none to be seen. are they all on the one side i presume?

leave it up to a bunch of woodworkers to complicate even the simple builds.
people who say pocket screws have no place in woodworking are living in the past,
time to embrace the new technology and realize some things are done simply and the joinery used fits the product perfect.

thanks again rennie, you proved the pocket screws have real life applications over other types of joinery.

Hey, I love traditional joinery as much as the next guy. I often over-do joinery on some items. In this case, however, it just seemed as though the simplest way was the best way. There is no real load on the trellis, no handling, no stress. So, why overwork myself? I just chose the most appropriate method for the job.