wine glasses in process

Dale Johnson

Due to a long story I ended up with 11 cases of wine glasses.

I have been cutting the stem off and turning wood stems and bases. This one is cherry stem and walnut base. Finish will be tung oil. Glass is stuck on with RTV silicone sealant.

These two are for a brother in law's 50th anniversary.

130 glasses to go.DSC_0309.jpgDSC_0310.jpgDSC_0312.jpg

Great idea Dale! That really shows some ingenuity. One thought though: the cut stem seems just a bit short, especially with RTV silicone sealant??? The flare at the top of the stem really marries well with the glass. Well done!:thumb:

That one looks very nice. I have 2 wine glasses slatted for that purpose. What are you using to cut the stems off?

I take a triangle file and score the stem all the way around. Then give it a gentle whack with a rawhide mallet. It snaps at the score line.

Dale,
I like the simplicity of your stems... wine glasses are one of my favorite things to make... I keep 5 or 6 sets in inventory for all my shows.
A word of advice on cutting the stems... if you have a Dremel tool, put a cut off disk in it and use that to do the cut offs.... measure and mark where you want the cut, just touch the cut off wheel to the stem and hold it for about 2 seconds... the stem with drop off and you don't risk breaking the glass and it's much faster than trying to score the stem and whacking it. Do wear safety glasses either way... glass shards in the eyes are no fun.

And not to hijack your thread, but here are some of my glasses....
40-1865_1w.jpg40-1845_0.jpg
40-1895_0.jpg
40-1895_0.jpg40-1844_0.jpg

Attachments

• 40-1864_0w.jpg
    40-1864_0w.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: