It's so dark...and what is that red glow...

This is the 3rd one of these I've owned. First got given away as I didn't use it and knew someone that would enjoy it more than I, and it was given to me in the first place. The next I bought, but ran out of room in my old garage, so it was the first to go (sold it for triple what I paid and more than I paid for this one). So this one I got with a decent cabinet, set of craftsman knives, and the copy jig. Don't feel like I got a bad deal.
2014-05-30 19.33.22.jpg2014-05-30 19.33.47.jpg2014-05-30 20.06.29.jpg

I asked the guy to start it for me. It had a slight rattle in the motor side, but didn't see anything in the stock moving, so figured it was a pulley or belt issue. Sure enough, got it home and the motor pulley was loose, so a quick tighten with the allen wrench and it was good to go and quiet again.

The duplicator jig is disassembled, but seems to have all the parts, just need to look up the manual for it. It's the one you mount a finished piece below the work piece, then manually move the cutter jig long the finished to duplicate it.

You done good in flipping lathes. When does the TV show air? :rofl:

Since you got this because of your grandson, does that mean a series of custom designed rattles are on the to-do list?

Darkside.gif

Thanks all. John, good advice on the fruit wood, was thinking of using cherry anyway.

Dad stopped by this morning and we cleeaned up some of the rust. Need to order a live center (bearing type) and maybe a 3/4 16 tpi chuck to have on hand.

Found the motor had oil ports, so gave each a few drops as I suspect it hasn't had any in a while.

ute9uqys.jpg

Congrats now how about variable speed :)

Oh and check on the cherry. I was at friends house other day and they got an African grey parrot. I wasvtalking about wanting a piece of their wild cherry tree they had just cut down to use for a spoon blank. Anyhow they had a list of woods handy that they could not or were not to feed the bird to chew on. cherry was in the NOT list. Have not yet got round to checking its toxicity for humans seemed strange to me but better safe than sorry so just look it up first. Kids will get anything they can into that mouth especially when teething....dont think i have stopped yet lol. Still use my teeth and tongue as a test instrument. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob, cherry is on the toxic list for my horses, cattle, hogs, goats, swine. But it isn't the wood. Only the dried leaves. Green leaves are okay, but those that are dry have a high toxin in them (tanic acid??) and actually just a few leaves can kill a large cow/horse.

I have been cleaning in my shop (as Larry can attest to that it needed it). Found my lathes! Yep, have a brand spanking new lathe that has never been turned on. Last summer bought the JET VS with reverse and haven't turned it on. Then my SIL brought the old lathe back and bought Paul's from Jay that Larry brought to me. Well have them set up, bench vacuumed off and things getting straightened up. May take and post a picture in a couple of days.

:congrats: :woot:

I think that red light is the end of the tunnel. or the train. Either way it'll be a fun ride!

On cherry and rattles.. The poisonous compound is hydrogen cyanide which is indeed bad juju in any measurable amount.

Cherry bark is also bad, I peal any cherry wood I use for smoking wood (although I admit its likely overkill, I also find that it makes a smoother smoke because the cyanide compounds and some of the pre-cursors are bitter in even small quantities). The wilted but not yet dry leaves are actually the worst, completely dry isn't quite as bad oddly enough (still wouldn't feed them to a cow mind you but a freshly broken off branch is about the worst). This is true of most of the prunous family to a greater or lesser extent (apricots, peaches, plums, etc...). Apple and pear seeds have de-minimus amounts (i.e. you'd need to eat pounds of them for most people to have a problem).

Interestingly red maple leaves are also quite bad for livestock, although the toxin is a different form (probably gallic acid but not sure - it shuts down the red blood cells somehow anyway).

I'd have a hard time imagining there is enough cyanide in the wood of cherry that it would be much of a problem (wouldn't use the bark.. but that wouldn't work well anyway), although I suppose anything is possible and given that there are lots of alternatives I guess why chance it.. I've actually used peach pits for making some "almond" flavorings because they have a bit more "bite" largely because of the higher cyanide levels .. safe enough in small doses :D

For a rattle or similar there are a couple of features I'd look for. Non toxic (obviously :D), doesn't splinter at all, non porous (because porous wood has more places to hold ick from mouth->floor->mouth->floor.. although thats undoubtedly good for the immune system ;)).

• Poplar or cotton wood would be pretty good, its a bit soft but mostly just gets fuzzy when chewed on. The fuzzy might be a bit of an issue on the ick factor.
  • Pear or Apple seem like good choices as they have tight interlocking grain and aren't toxic in any measurable way. I think either of these would be my first choice if you could get them.
  • Hard maple should be good, although its not quite as splinter free as apple or pear, its still relatively tight grained and should hold up pretty well. Also probably the easiest to get commercially.

Yup, but doesnt work as the previous owner buried the other end when he did some fill work around the building. Have no idea where it comes out. Might dig around one of these days if I start parking over in that spot.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk