Storage od Router Bits

Al Launier

What do you folks use for storage of router bits. I'm getting a bit tired of searching through the original plastic boxes containing different size router bits with different shank sizes. I was thinking of a hinged shelf mounted to the side (rear?) of the router cabinet with a hole pattern arranged to accept the bits categorized in rows. The bottom of the hanging shelf would be offset away from the cabinet to create an angle that would prevent the bits from falling out. Sounds like this would work, but I'm not crazy about it. Any suggestions?

Here's what I've been using for years:

RtrBiitStorage.jpg

Sections of 3/4" MDF with holes drilled at 5/16" for 1/4" bits and 9/16" for 1/2" bits. Edges of the MDF are chamfered.

Plano boxes. The router table was built with them in mind. They're adjustable as things change and I can keep most of what I regularly use right at the router table. The little pieces of paper towel keep the bearing oil from getting messy. Long ago I started putting just a touch of oil on the bearing prior to returning a bearing bit to the box. I haven't lost a bearing since.

Router Bit Storage(1).jpg . Router Bit Storage(2).jpg

Bill, that looks like a great way to store your bits, but I would have to build something more involved than what I had in mind. I adhere to the KISS approach to things, which in my case is aka LAZY mind.

Glenn, that is a great idea. Now why didn't I think of that. You just made my project go away as I have a good number of plastic tackle boxes that I no longer use after selling off much of my fishing gear. Good idea with the towel & oil.