one hour project

allen levine

wanted to lift my wifes spirits a bit, just make her feel good today.
didn't want to go work in the shop all day, so I came up with this. Took me 1 hour 10 minutes to put together.
Yellow pine and dowels. Gave her a choice of what color to paint or stain, she wanted it black.
simple, but it put a smile on her face.(she didn't need any more flowers, chocolates, or cookies)
holds 15 spools of thread, shes new to the quilting hobby.

Attachments

• 100_1713.jpg
    100_1713.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1714.jpg
    100_1714.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
Great one, now you are ahead of the game! Got to warn you though. My wife started quilting. Hang on to your wallet. You think wood working is expensive! I think my wife has more money tied up in material, than I have in tools and wood. That's just material. Not counting the expensive sewing machine she had to have, the cutters, the...... But keeps her happy and she is enjoying her retirement. She has made some nice quilts, of which I have yet to get one!

Great one, now you are ahead of the game! Got to warn you though. My wife started quilting. Hang on to your wallet. You think wood working is expensive! I think my wife has more money tied up in material, than I have in tools and wood. That's just material. Not counting the expensive sewing machine she had to have, the cutters, the...... But keeps her happy and she is enjoying her retirement. She has made some nice quilts, of which I have yet to get one!

$6000.00 for a sewing machine. $11,000.00 for a longarm quilting machine. $300.00 for design software. $100+ per month for fabric, etc. Quilting classes here and there - $25~$100 each.

Add to that the fact that the sewing machines are constantly "new and improved" so that they get replaced every few years. Yeah, it's an expensive hobby! Those costs are way more than most woodworkers have invested in their hobby shops, for sure!

My wife has been quilting for many years, and makes several quilts per month. Most are donated to various hospitals, hospices, and charities. She's also won numerous awards over the years, including four 'Best of Show' awards for her quilts. She also participates in an annual program that gives red, white, and blue quilts to veterans, first responders, etc.

shes no where near that yet. she has an inexpensive machine, most of her lessons have been from a friend here who works with her.
Randi merlau got her started, and little by little shes been advancing.
She starts classes in august with her friend here.
She hasn't spent all that much yet, only buys when she finds a good sale.

Nice quick project Allen.

Now it needs a clear top to keep the dust off the thread. It's gets into your sewing machine & wreaks havoc. I've been told about this more than once by repair people & professional seamstress as well as upholsters. My grandmother a professional seamstress kept hers in shallow drawers with the spools laying on their sides so she could see the color of the thread & keep the dust off the thread.