this is why I like her

He might want to bring a friend, Allen. Those cast iron legs are very heavy. As is the naked bed. I used an electric hoist to put mine together and it was a tussle. You have to support the bed in midair while bolting on the leg assemblies. One leg assembly is actually both legs for one end. As I recall about 110#'s a piece.

I'd dig out the directions and make a plan of attack. My back is still killing me (more therapy this week) and I know your back isn't that great either.

But a great machine. You will love it! :thumb: :congrats:

The only delivery service I know that was even better than yours was when my friend received his Powermatic lathe. I went over with my hoist to help him put it together. His also was sitting at the local terminal and wouldn't be delivered until the next day. The owner of the local business said he knew my friend was very anxious to receive it, so he had it loaded on the back of is own pick up and brought it over himself. Backed into the garage, we hooked up the hoist to off load it and then the guy helped us unpack it. He said he wanted to make sure there was not damage. I think he was a woodworker and just wanted to see the new lathe.

... Those cast iron legs are very heavy....As I recall about 110#'s a piece...

They're heavy, but not that heavy. I was able to move the legs for my Powermatic (same design but bigger) without too much trouble. I'd guess they're more in the 70 to 80 pound range. The bed is much heavier, especially with the motor and headstock still attached. Also, I was able to attach one leg assembly at a time. I hoisted one end of the bed (with the other end still on the floor), attached the legs, hoisted the other end, and then attached the other legs. Here's a progress shot, after attaching the first leg assembly and preparing to hoist the other end:

PM3520B - 10 800.jpg

Still, your advice to have two helpers instead of just one is not a bad idea. :thumb:

The reason I said 110#'s is because that is what my very faulty memory spit out. Aside from which the back pain is registering a 3 today. That's with meds. Best I can get without going out to the street. Some days I wish I knew how to do that!

Still mind altering. :eek:

Bad enough when I have no pain.

cant we take everything off the bed before we lift it?
I was planning on using my 600lb lift table, figured Id put some blocks on it to build up the height.
I don't have a hoist. I do have a bad back. but we will improvise, its kinda scary, I opened the box and Im so used to the little 1220 lathe, this thing is a monster compared to it.(Ofcourse, its not like the lathe I saw in Bills shop, but then, Id have to work out with weights to just lift some of his custom gouges)

Two things. Yes, you can remove the headstock, tailstock, and banjo. Two, the lift table sounds perfect. Just before getting the bed on the table. That is low back pain area. The leg assemblies can be tilted up and 'walked' into place. Just be careful. Rather you have fun than wind up in pain. Ain't no fun, I can tel you.

Carol's right, you can remove everything from the bed before lifting it. I left the headstock on mine, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to lift it myself to put it back on the bed. And the lift table should be perfect. :thumb:

The reason I said 110#'s is because that is what my very faulty memory spit out...

No worries, ma'am. ;) I hope your back pain goes away soon. :(

my son is reading assembly instructions before he comes, my neighbor said hed be more than happy to help, he came over, he had zero problem as me, lifting the legs out of the boxes.
My bil is available, but I just watched a video of one guy on youtube, taking home the lathe in his pickup, took off the head, tail and banjo, assembled the lathe by himself in approx. 90 from time he unloaded. He didn't look like a weight lifter, so I don't think there will be much problems.
If he did it by himself, (you can watch the video), I don't think the 2 of us would have any problems. He just placed the legs on the floor on blocks, then lifted the bed himself and assembled it.

I've put together every machine in my shop by myself. That includes unloading them from my pickup, and through the basement door into my shop. To me it is half the fun to figure out how I will do it. With the right leverages, some jacks and my hoist it was all fairly simple. I have a hoist (HF cherry picker) and you wouldn't believe some of the things I have moved and put together using it. Your lift table will do it. Just take you time, move things slowly, it will be a snap.

How are you gonna use a shelf drilling jig on a your new lathe? :huh::dunno::rofl:

Glad to hear your son will be helping. I helped my dad and it went pretty smoothly. Hope it goes together without any problems Allen!:thumb:

me and my son, no problem putting it together, less than an hour.
we took head and tail stock off, made it easy to lift.took us as much time to wipe all the packing grease off each piece as it did to assemble.

been a busy day so far, got up at 6:30 and started resurfacing driveway, stopped when my son arrived to assist with lathe, then just finished the driveway.

my wife needs some material, so its off to joannes, shortly. I need a rest.

Attachments

• assembled 001.jpg
    assembled 001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 27