Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used Rustoleum Restore for decks?

Anyone used Rustoleum Restore for decks?

Hi all.

I am wondering if anyone has used this product for refinishing your wood deck? My daughter and son-in-law are doing theirs and have bought Restore to coat the deck after pressure washing it with a cleaner.

I have read some reviews of the product and found adhesion and peeling to be a problem. Just wondering what your thoughts and experiences were if you had used it..

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

tony i havnt used it but know where it has been used and it has held up well,, many years of use.. be sure to get the deck DRY before coating it.. i have intentions of using it on my parent front door landing aera.. it appears to be a good product.. will be watching the thread to see if others chime in with there experiences on it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Tony,
    My neighbor used it last year and it has held up well. I tried out the Olympic Rescue product on my deck railing and steps earlier this year and so far they have held up well. I read the reviews on both products and was kind of skittish about committing all that money to do the whole deck, so I decided to do a test on the rail and steps. If it makes it through this next winter, then we will do the whole thing.. Lots of surface prep required. You have to fill all the cracks larger than 1/8" and make sure no loose stain/paint. I ended up belt sanding and scraping off the old finish and filling cracks with indoor/outdoor spackle. It's holding so far.

Was considering using it on our pool deck (concrete), but will probably hold off another year or so, or if we decide to sell to spruce it up some.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I experimented with the Restore for our deck before committing the money for the whole thing. I had a tough time building up the textured surface so that it looked good....no matter what I did, it looked sparse. It could have been my technique, but I ended up not using it for the whole deck. Instead, I opted to rent a drum sander and restored the original surface.....$75 and 4 hours very well spent.

Last edited by scott spencer; 06-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    Got Wood?

Hi Tony, I used this on our pool deck. The decking is on the ground and is 22 years old and looked it. This really saved me from replacing the deck. We opened the pool this weekend and the deck still looks like it was just done. If you use it make sure you use the restore roller or you will not get the texture.

I've always liked Rustoleum products, We are getting ready to do my son's deck and the drum sanding bit too Scott.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

in order to sand it you must have to take out the screws or nail right?,, and Sayer what prep did you do before laying it on?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks Larry. Actually I was thinking of pulling all the boards and flipping them.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

The only prep was a good power washing. Like Dave, I also flipped some of the boards that were really bad. The deck is huge, goes around a 16x40 in ground pool. No way was I going to take all the nails and screws out in order to sand. This was a great way to get a few more years for sure..