Anyone used Rustoleum Restore for decks?

Tony Baideme

Hi all.

I am wondering if anyone has used this product for refinishing your wood deck? My daughter and son-in-law are doing theirs and have bought Restore to coat the deck after pressure washing it with a cleaner.

I have read some reviews of the product and found adhesion and peeling to be a problem. Just wondering what your thoughts and experiences were if you had used it..

Aloha, Tony

tony i havnt used it but know where it has been used and it has held up well,, many years of use.. be sure to get the deck DRY before coating it.. i have intentions of using it on my parent front door landing aera.. it appears to be a good product.. will be watching the thread to see if others chime in with there experiences on it.

Tony,
My neighbor used it last year and it has held up well. I tried out the Olympic Rescue product on my deck railing and steps earlier this year and so far they have held up well. I read the reviews on both products and was kind of skittish about committing all that money to do the whole deck, so I decided to do a test on the rail and steps. If it makes it through this next winter, then we will do the whole thing.. Lots of surface prep required. You have to fill all the cracks larger than 1/8" and make sure no loose stain/paint. I ended up belt sanding and scraping off the old finish and filling cracks with indoor/outdoor spackle. It's holding so far.

I experimented with the Restore for our deck before committing the money for the whole thing. I had a tough time building up the textured surface so that it looked good....no matter what I did, it looked sparse. It could have been my technique, but I ended up not using it for the whole deck. Instead, I opted to rent a drum sander and restored the original surface.....$75 and 4 hours very well spent.

windows1005.jpg

windows1040.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I used this on our pool deck. The decking is on the ground and is 22 years old and looked it. This really saved me from replacing the deck. We opened the pool this weekend and the deck still looks like it was just done. If you use it make sure you use the restore roller or you will not get the texture.

The only prep was a good power washing. Like Dave, I also flipped some of the boards that were really bad. The deck is huge, goes around a 16x40 in ground pool. No way was I going to take all the nails and screws out in order to sand. This was a great way to get a few more years for sure..

in order to sand it you must have to take out the screws or nail right?

Not really as long as they are set slightly below the surface. I sanded out the deck at our last house before we sold it and just went around with a driver and a handful of slightly longer screws and pulled and re-set all of the ones that had worked up. If they are proud of the surface they will indeed eat the sanding sheets pretty badly (as I found on the one I missed :doh:).

Well, the kids got HD to take the "Restore" back (two 5 gal pails of it) and gave them a refund. I am not sure what they are going to buy now to do the deck, but I don't think it will be any Rustoleum. Thanks for the advice.

Aloha.

Most of the reviews on this product told of peeling problems, and less than good wear quality. The kids thought it better to find something with a better reputation. I don't do decks, but I think I would have to agree.