I'm getting the hang of this !

Thanks

My only problem is adhering the piece of wood to the turning board. I use a center screw and then 4 short screws to make sure it holds in place. Is there some other way. Hot glue maybe ?

Dave not knowing how you turn them makes it kind of hard to suggest the best way. Were I making one I believe I would mount the blank between centers and turn a tenon on the bottom. I The tenon would be at least an inch of not longer would then rough turn the outside to make it wound. Then I would Then I would reverse the blank and put the tenon in a chuck with the live center in the tail stock finish turning the outside leaving enough of the tension to properly support the bland. The I would then begin to hollow out the inside leaving the tail stock in place as long as possible, Back off the tail stock and finish the inside. Part the tenon from the bottom. I never had a vacuum chuck so that would be my approach. I am sure others will chime in. Since the last piece I turned sent me to the Doctor with my alergies I can't do a demo to show you how. I bet Vaughn and some of the more expieranced turners will chime in.

Thanks Don. I am turning one now and placing a few drops of the hot glue stick on the otter edges. I placed them to far out and the piece loosened up. Once I found again I remounted it with glue much closer. Now to see if that works.

Dave,

I don't recognize the thing you are making, but it appears to be slate or something hard mounted in some very pretty wood. Different materials mean that you need a flexible glue. I have become very fond of "DAP Acrylic Latex Caulk plus silicone" in Clear. I comes in a calking tube, starts out white, but dries totally clear, and flexible. Costs a couple dollars per tube, and when wet cleans up easily with water. I wouldn't try it for something like sealing a glass aquarium that has to hold hundreds of pounds of water, but for lesser things, it is great.

I haven't done a test, but it seems to me to have more holding power than hot melt glue.

ah Yes Charlie, I use a Acrylic Black Silicone to bed the Slate and the glass under the slate. I use an epoxy once and found out that when playing the call the class cracked LOL

Don. After remounting the piece I finished the turn and it worked great.

The inside post are what I mount the glass on. Glass is seated a little over 1/8th " to 3/8s as a sounding board. I'll have to get a video up on the sound. I also use a wood hardener to stabilize the wood.

Last edited:
"Turning board?" I think you mean a waste block mounted to a faceplate on the lathe and your blank is glued to it? Or what? Or do you have a chuck you are using?

Hot glue is one possibility, but there are more efficient ways. There is a double stick tape turners use to mount a blank but the face of the blank has to be dead flat.

So what are you doing?

It's a beauty Dave. I've always used a center screw and never had any trouble.. Plumber's Goop is a good choice of adhesive...tried plain silicone for a while and it didn't hold.

ah Yes Charlie, I use a Acrylic Black Silicone to bed the Slate and the glass under the slate. I use an epoxy once and found out that when playing the call the class cracked LOL

Don. After remounting the piece I finished the turn and it worked great.

The inside post are what I mount the glass on. Glass is seated a little over 1/8th " to 3/8s as a sounding board. I'll have to get a video up on the sound. I also use a wood hardener to stabilize the wood.

"Turning board?" I think you mean a waste block mounted to a faceplate on the lathe and your blank is glued to it? Or what? Or do you have a chuck you are using?

Hot glue is one possibility, but there are more efficient ways. There is a double stick tape turners use to mount a blank but the face of the blank has to be dead flat.

So what are you doing?
Carol I mount the the waste board with a center screw and hot glue. Seems to work great for my set up.

I had to read the thread to figure out what it is.
so that's a turkey calling thing?
I always thought they were longer like a short flute.
learn something new every day here.

, you put out a noise that sounds like a turkey, and then some turkey thinks hes going to get lucky and boom, hes dinner.

Last edited:
Dave, one thing I found making these (well of the two I made), is the wood appears to make some difference in the sound. I made one out of cocobolo and it is pretty, but not a good loud sound. The other was made mahogany, much lighter wood and it has a great loader sound.