Hunting Turkeys...What's the big deal?

Bill Satko

I do all my hunting at the supermarket, so maybe I just don't understand, but what is so difficult? You just get a nice truck; red seems popular color; and let the gang take a look. Heck, to make it really easy, put the tailgate down and let them check out the back.

IMG_0192.jpgIMG_0194.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0197.jpg

This morning at the Tri-Valley Golf Center, Pheasanton, CA

They are everywhere lately. Soon they will be a nusance animal.

If I had a gun at the ready - a turkey could easily be supper - and I am not a hunter. If I could not shoot a turkey for supper - wow - I dunno.

BUT - I too do my hunting in the supermarket.

Somehow - I think we are so accustomed to eating manufactured turkey that a real one would not taste so good.

For some reason red doesn't bother them. I've driven up on a large flock of 30 birds and followed them through the field at a snalls pace. But when I've pulled into the field with my white van they scatter.

They're daily visitors in my backyard. I've only seen one today, but in the past, I've had as many as thirty of them browsing under the oak trees (and also eating the cracked corn I put out for them, the deer, and the other birds, etc.).

Used to be that a wild turkey in the yard was something unusual now there are dozens and dozens. It gets kind of annoying at times.

Saturday morning I was standing on our front porch and saw this little ball of fluff walking across our yard. I whistled at it and it came right over to me. I thought our neighbors lost a little chicken so my wife scooped it up and brought it over to them. Turns out it was a turkey chick. Now one of my daughters has it and is going to raise it until it's big enough to release.

For some reason red doesn't bother them. I've driven up on a large flock of 30 birds and followed them through the field at a snalls pace. But when I've pulled into the field with my white van they scatter.

I've heard that animals are color blind, so maybe they can't see a color like red, but white is no color, so they can see that???;);)

My little Silky terror will bark like crazy when he sees a black cow, but will ignore the white ones. ??:huh::huh: